Too much salt.

Mar 7, 2010
Hey guys,

So I just got my pool built and there has been water in it about 1 week now. My salt level has increased from 3200 to now 3500 ppm.

I thought your salt level falls over time not increases? But I guess it can increase due to water evaporation?

So do I just need to add fresh water? Or do I need to drain some water and then add more fresh water?

Sorry, I'm new to all this.

Thanks

Having salt at 3500 shouldn't be a problem. You can just leave it there for now.

There are a couple of possible reasons the level may have changed. The difference may simply be testing error. None of the tests are exactly repeatable. Also, many of the chemicals you add contain some salt. If you added something other than salt, that might have brought the salt level up a bit.

Thanks,

My Goldline is telling me the salt is too high. I also did a manual test and the salt was high. I did add some chemicals mid week but I can't remember what is was right now. ( too early still ) Happy Monday.

Hi there...3500 PPM salt should not be a problem. In fact, tech support from Pentair (I have a IC-40 unit) suggested I brought my numbers up from 3200 to 3600. I added salt back in Oct. (2 -40lbs-bags), but now, as temps. got warmer I see my salt concentration move up rapidly (I got as high as 4200). Since I have not added any more salt since Oct. my guesses are:

1.) Salt cell does not read well in cold weather
2.) Evaporation is making the salt solution more concentrated
3.) Someone besides me added salt to my pool (not likely)

In any case, my quick fix was to add more water (as my water line was a little low anyway) and now salt is within SWCG parameters.

Good luck

I just got a reply from my PB about this and they said " The salt level should be ok. As soon as we have some summer storms the salt will lower."

So I will let if go for now although I do need to add a little water.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.