2000 gallon Fountain care help....

Jan 27, 2018
Mobile, Al
Hello All,
We have a 2k gallon water fountain at work that I'm trying to maintain and your advice would be appreciated. I have a swimming pool that has a salt water generator, so I'm able to check and maintain it. This fountain however is proving a little difficult given I'm using liquid chlorine alone, which is new for me. I'm testing the water with a simple Taylor K-1000 test kit (chlorine/ph).

1) I started with fresh water last week.
2) I then had to add about 6 gallons of liquid chlorine over a weeks period, adding about 1 or 2 gallons in the early morning. The chlorine would show fine (2-4 or 3-6) at the end of the day but again show low the next morning (-.5-1)? Consequently, I'd add another gallon or two the following day. I'm in the process of getting the levels correct, so I just figured maybe it needed the 6 gallons for the 2000 gallons of water?

I purchased some PH down/up and I've managed to keep my ph around 7.5. Because my chlorine was fluctuating I decided to add some Chlorox chlorine stabalizer on Friday to help with the posibility that the sun is burning off my chlorine? Only, when I tested the chlorine late Friday afternoon, the stabalizer changed the color to a orange. So, there was no way for me to check the chlorine on Friday.

Maybe the fountain, with about 1 1/2 deep water, looks beautiful tomorrow. Otherwise, do you think just checking the waters chlorine and ph levels will be sufficient? My basic understanding is that the chlorine will kill the bacteria, but the ph needs to be proper in order for it to be effective. So, it would seem chlorine and ph is my only real considerations for the fountain?

Thanks,
Ralph

Anyhow, I had purchased

. just keeps testing very low for chlorine, so I've added a gallon each day in order to test the next day. It would show good late low the next day again, so I ended up adding 2 liquid chlorine on Friday added some Clorox Pool/Spa chlorine stabalizer.

If this is outdoors you'll need atleast 30ppm of cya to shield it from the UV which is consuming the chlorine. Is there a filter besides the pump in the mix to filter out algae and the what not when it gets into the water. Your PH is always going to trend upwards as that's what aeration does.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, this is a beautiful and very large outdoor three tier water fountain (12 ft tall) that is contained within a large round brick pond. Nobody is allowed to get into the pond, nor is it for animals or plants. People take family pictures in front of it and use it as a wishing well. It's an attraction and show piece.

The water was crystal clear today for the first time in months, btw. So, I'm doing something right. The chlorine was low again though, so it is definetly getting burned off quickly by the sun. The PH was slightly high, so I added a little bit of PH down for that.

The system has a Pentair model 320 chlorinator that I don't think they ever utilized. I put two 3in tablets into it today and that should help maintain the chlorine level going forward. Anyhow, I'm feeling better about it now and I'll continue to tweak it until I have a schedule of sorts.

So, do you think the simple K-1000 tester which tests chlorine/ph will be sufficient? Also, would an affordable battery powered robotic cleaner be a worthy investment such as this one HERE? I just need something to help with the sand that collects and other minor debri. Would the coinage in the fountain be an issue though? We'd probably only need to use it once a week or every other week.

Thanks,
Ralph

You can use the tabs & when it gets funky it will likely be due to high cya then you will just need to drain it & start over.
There’s a cheap hth 6 way test at Walmart you can get that has a couple cya tests in it as well as ta test which will probably go low with tab use as tabs are quite acidic & it will eventually need to be adjusted.
To properly adjust ph you need to know your ta.
Here’s what each dissolved 3” tab does to the water- I would set it very low so they erode slowly.

IMG_9977.jpeg
Maybe a rechargeable hand held cordless vac would probably be plenty - i have the cheap intex one.