20 year old pool, valve handles are breaking in half, and modern replacements are 90 degrees off.

Your ball valves lasted 17 or 18 years longer than anyone else's. They all switched when the handle change happened and never knew the difference.

If it bothers you that much, replace the valves. I strongly suggest using diverters. The odds of ball valves lasting as long as yours did are slim to none.

I didn’t know ball valves generally have such a short lifespan. We have a couple that were installed in early 2004 and still work fine. Perhaps it helps they don’t get turned very often and aren’t exposed to direct sunlight. I’ve always kept tight control of water chemistry as well.

I hope I didn’t just jinx myself! 😧

I didn’t know ball valves generally have such a short lifespan.
It's been reported here many times. They stick and get hard to turn, seize, and/or the handle breaks.

In the grand scheme of any build, it's foolish to use a discount moving part that usually needs to be cut out to be repaired. I needed 4 on my build an might have saved $100 using ball valves. That's not even a rounding error, it's a tip for the one worker I liked. :ROFLMAO:

But. Some defy the odds and go the distance, and I'm glad yours have held up.

It's been reported here many times. They stick and get hard to turn, seize, and/or the handle breaks.

In the grand scheme of any build, it's foolish to use a discount moving part that usually needs to be cut out to be repaired. I needed 4 on my build an might have saved $100 using ball valves. That's not even a rounding error, it's a tip for the one worker I liked. :ROFLMAO:

But. Some defy the odds and go the distance, and I'm glad yours have held up.

Agreed!

In 2004 when our pool was built we had no clue about such things. We picked a builder we liked (interviewed 3 builders that seem to have a good rep) and off we went! Fortunately, the build went pretty smoothly with only a couple small issues that were quickly addressed.

Now that I know a bit more, and where to go with questions, there’s a few things I would do differently if having a pool built today, but overall our builder did good; their recommendation to go with a SWCG and oversize filter turned out to be spot on!

Reactions: Newdude
Ball valves vary in quality.

Praher tends to be better than most other ball valves.

The handles tend to get dry rotted and break.

SuperPro valves are not well known but seem to be ok in general.

Overall, the Jandy NeverLube valves are probably the best and they have a lifetime warranty.

Ball valves vary in quality.

Praher tends to be better than most other ball valves.

The handles tend to get dry rotted and break.

SuperPro valves are not well known but seem to be ok in general.

Overall, the Jandy NeverLube valves are probably the best and they have a lifetime warranty.

Good to know. 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.