Jun 9, 2021
Corona, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
We moved to this home in 2019, at that time the pool was 17 years old. Here is a quote I got for repair of my pool after 3-4 inches of loss daily when the pump runs for over a year. You can imagine my water bill in CA. The skimmer was found to have a leak, shoddy repair work totaling $1250. Also found a crack in the gunite spa bench and at the bottom of the spa which they had to repair for free but wants to charge another $1500 for the crack in the spa bench. Decided to move on from that company. Called another and I have attached the 30K of work to be done, hopefully to last another 20 years. Your thoughts on cost.
We have replaced the following in the last 3 years
Heater
Pump
Filter CartridgesPoolQuote.PNG

Hello,
We moved to this home in 2019, at that time the pool was 17 years old. Here is a quote I got for repair of my pool after 3-4 inches of loss daily when the pump runs for over a year. You can imagine my water bill in CA. The skimmer was found to have a leak, shoddy repair work totaling $1250. Also found a crack in the gunite spa bench and at the bottom of the spa which they had to repair for free but wants to charge another $1500 for the crack in the spa bench. Decided to move on from that company. Called another and I have attached the 30K of work to be done, hopefully to last another 20 years. Your thoughts on cost.
We have replaced the following in the last 3 years
Heater
Pump
Filter CartridgesView attachment 448644
Is your pool really 163k gallons or 16.3k? I wish I could find contractors with prices that good out here.

Multiple bids are in your favor.
I have seen the work of this company many times.
Jhockpools.com
If you have any questions regarding the process of these repairs, let me know if I can help, Ray.
Well Ray,
Shame on us, we went with it. 3 weeks in and there are many problems. According to the quote there should be 3 applications of plaster. What does that look like? Plaster applied over 3 days? In retrospect our biggest problem was the leak behind the skimmer and in the spa. The rest fluff. It is not a good situation We were told the pool would be ready next Wednesday and yesterday they said it would be ready to fill by today. We refuse to put in water because they need to fix the errors. I can attach some pre-demo and remodel pictures. I have paid a little over 50% at this point. We discovered there is no permit for the job, much of it is sub-contracted and the job was not adequately supervised. Original color is the tan, new color blue as pictured. Plase advise.

Attachments

• 4C1CE69D-E2F5-4AE9-A027-9291D57368C7.jpg
    4C1CE69D-E2F5-4AE9-A027-9291D57368C7.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 9CD74F25-8AD7-4BA0-9834-466429FF3E91.jpg
    9CD74F25-8AD7-4BA0-9834-466429FF3E91.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 57EF0AD6-62BD-4A5B-80E0-227CE0073157.jpg
    57EF0AD6-62BD-4A5B-80E0-227CE0073157.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 68C58A16-3AB7-496B-A2EB-69C199A192EA.jpg
    68C58A16-3AB7-496B-A2EB-69C199A192EA.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 52
  • D9C1F57C-8079-4B62-81E1-5F8B011D62EC.jpg
    D9C1F57C-8079-4B62-81E1-5F8B011D62EC.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 53
No way to tell how many coats were applied with out being on site during application.
In picture #1 the gap underneath the light is common from light nitch position during Shotcrete. The plaster crew could have built up the plaster to make up some of the distance. Keeping the pool without water may be damaging to the plaster depending on weather and length of time. Most cities would require a permit for this type of work.
Where do you stand as of now with the work?

No way to tell how many coats were applied with out being on site during application.
In picture #1 the gap underneath the light is common from light nitch position during Shotcrete. The plaster crew could have built up the plaster to make up some of the distance. Keeping the pool without water may be damaging to the plaster depending on weather and length of time. Most cities would require a permit for this type of work.
We are not in a good place. Plaster is not cracking. I cannot accept the job, he refuses to admit the mistakes especially of the 4inch slope on the bench that extends from pool entry to under the waterfall. Since Friday I have been threatened with law suit and a lien on my property.
What specifically is the issue? Plaster can be damaged without being in water for too long.
We were told in addition to the visible cracks in the spa bench there could be more in the pool. The worst issue was in fact leaking behind the skimmer, concrete was mush. That seemed to be fixed, the rest of the work was subcontracted and not adequately supervised.

Searching for 3 quotes to correct the issues.

We were told in addition to the visible cracks in the spa bench there could be more in the pool. The worst issue was in fact leaking behind the skimmer, concrete was mush. That seemed to be fixed, the rest of the work was subcontracted and not adequately supervised.

I meant what is wrong with the plaster, the pictures didn’t show anything, or maybe I missed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.