2 Speed pump to single speed (wiring question)

See - the issue is where do you change speeds ? If it's with a switch on the motor - you will need the common and the one that feeds the switch hooked up.

If you use an external switch , then you need the common and just one of the speed controls.

Dejavu,

Wow Spring Tx, I lived there during late 80's in Terra Nova! A little more information would be helpful. A photo of the load center and description including the model number/hp of the motor would be very helpful. Most come with same wire colors etc and are connected in the same way to the load center and relays. But there are installations that are far from standard and not to code. So we need to confirm what you're working with before we are absolutely sure what you should do. Also just a caution and only because we care. If you don't know code requirements and haven't got experience working with 240v single phase it is way better to get a qualified electrician to help. Check around and you'll be able to find one to help for $100 or so if you do most of the "manual labor". In the process you'll learn a lot from an expert for next time.

I did it this way many years ago and I was surprised at all the little tricks for handling the wires plus how easy it is to make the installation look very professional. Most important were the safety precautions. Things like don't just throw the breaker... assumptions can kill. Check for power before you throw it and after with with a VOM to verify you've thrown the correct breaker. There are lots of other safety precautions.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.