1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

My wife has been concerned with all the bleach I've been using. She doesn't think it is safe.
I remember reading a post here about CDC? Recommends that drinking water be around 4ppm? I, in a round about way, explained that to her and I think she is on board.
That 4ppm is with no CYA in the drinking water. Since most of your FC is protected by CYA, the active level of FC is far lower than what the CDC allows, even at your SLAM level.

The level of FC in your laundry is many orders or magnitude higher than your pool is right now.

One cup of bleach in the washer is in perhaps 30 gallons of water. That gives the washer a FC of 139 ppm (per Pool Calculator, Effects of Adding Chemicals, at the bottom, using 800 oz in 3000 gallons).

Would you stick your hand in that? Yes, though you would rinse it off before you wipe it on a towel.

We are not going anywhere near 139 ppm, plus we have stabilizer in the water, which your laundry washing machine does not.

Jblizzle. Do you have any advice for a remedy? I bet your going to say drain the pool some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If you have a cooper problem which you may, there are two options.
1st option. A drain and refill with metal free water will permanently solve the problem.
2nd option. Using a Sequestrant like Proteams Metal Magic or Jacks Magic The Pink stuff. The Sequestrant doesn't last forever and will have to be replenished every so often.
I'm not sure how reliable your test was but those would be your options if you have excessive copper. Maybe there is a better way to test for it.
If it were my pool and a drain and refill wasn't a problem I would go that route.

Well, I see that pool looking a lot more blue than before and I will venture a guess that it will end up a good blue color, not a pale clear green that says copper problem.

Does the liner have any sand color to it? Beige stone colors? That might add a green tint to the water. Yellow + blue makes green.

Well, I see that pool looking a lot more blue than before and I will venture a guess that it will end up a good blue color, not a pale clear green that says copper problem.

Does the liner have any sand color to it? Beige stone colors? That might add a green tint to the water. Yellow + blue makes green.

The liner is blue and white. It's fairly faded. The pics aren't doing justice. It's 10x clearer Than it was Saturday.

I will give it a few days. Then consider a partial drain and go from there. This is after the SLAM is complete and passed an overnight test and a cc test.

As far as the drain. How much is safe? 1/2 the pool? Safe meaning. ( safe for the liner integrity)

Thanks everyone.

Scott

Would you say you still have a clear green tint to the water ? It's hard to judge by the picture.
When you do your OCLT test note the color of the water. If it's a clear green tint and you pass the OCLT test that also points towards metal in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The original poster here says in his first post that he's used a copper system for two previous years. Wouldn't it be easier to drain and replace the water to get rid of all that copper?

Yes we suggested his options a couple of posts back.
Would like to confirm the copper, but with the cooper system he used it may turn out that way.

evu6u2a8.jpg
Passes the OCLT last night!

My hats off to yall. I tell everyone I know that has a pool about this site.

I will Be upgrading my membership!

Thanks again!

Good Job! Now, looks like no worries with copper build-up with such a pretty blue color. And over time since you won't add any copper based algaecides or other sources of copper, what is in the pool will decline with splash-out and such.

Just slumming around the forums and wanted to say great job! It's great to see the information and methods used here work time and time again.

My hats off to yall. I tell everyone I know that has a pool about this site.

I try and tell everyone I know, but they all seem to be "Pool Stored professionals..." From my experience thus far with this method is after balancing CH and TA you typically only have to test those once in awhile. The rest of the season is adding bleach and a little muriatic acid to have a trouble free pool all season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.