1st opening, SLAM?

EdPepp

Apr 29, 2018
East Islip, NY
Is a SLAM required when opening the pool?
I see that it is required if CC is above 0.5 or FC is zero.
Is there usually chlorine left in the pool after having it covered all winter? The pool installer closed the pool in October, they threw some shock in and pulled the cover over.

Opened it up today and was surprised how clear the water was. I did notice some white substance along the walls and floor. I guess it sorta looked like the dust/powder that was in the pool in the fall after the pavers were done. I spent a week cleaning and the pool was crystal clear before the cover went on.
Turning the filter on today sort of spread the substance and the pool went from clear to cloudy.
I threw the robot in to start cleaning and noticed some white flakey stuff floating throughout the pool as well.
My test results are:
FC .5
CC .5
TA 130
pH >8.2 ?
CH 125
Temp is 62

Where do I go from here?

OCLT passed, water has cleared up this morning, kept the pump running overnight. SWG is not connected yet.

Added muriatic acid last night, dropped pH to 7.8, TA dropped to 110.
Next steps,
Bring CYA to 70 and and correct TA and pH, connect SWG?

OCLT passed, water has cleared up this morning, kept the pump running overnight. SWG is not connected yet.

Added muriatic acid last night, dropped pH to 7.8, TA dropped to 110.
Next steps,
Bring CYA to 70 and and correct TA and pH, connect SWG?
Yes. Keep an eye on your pH for a couple of days. If it drifts up in the 8's right away you may want to shoot for a lower pH target. You only need to adjust TA if your pH is unstable. Do you know your salt level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.