Possible Algae or Nothing??

Re: Overnight Free Chlorine Loss

Yes...I'm just tired of trying to maintain a high shock level while owning a business and working 50 hours a week. I've been at it since Sunday and hoping everyday I'll wake up without FC loss.

Thanks,
Alan

That's another frustrating issue I'm dealing with...I can't actually determine my gallon level. Based on my chlorine tests, I'm backing into calculations on the pool calculator from 10,000 to 20,000 gallons. I know that sounds crazy, but I've thought of every variable possible that could be skewing my results?? Maybe I should add chlorine at 7:00 tonight and not check it until 11:00. Maybe checking at 9:00 is too soon due to my filtering, circulation, etc...I have no idea?

Thanks,
Alan

I totally understand and we will help you do this.

To determine your gallon level, you can use the feature in the pool calculator. You have to know your gallon level to truly be able to accurately dose your pool with the chemicals.

Tonight, after it is dark, check your FC. Then in the morning, before the sun is up, check the FC again. That will give us your loss. Be sure and run the pump continually during this process.

Post your numbers back here in the morning and we will go from there.

Also consider creating a signature line under your profile that includes your: pool type, pump size, filter type, number of gallons, and any other specifics about the pool structure. That way, when you post that information always appears and we know what you are working with.

This seems hard because you are a business owner and you work a full schedule. I think that you are letting this aggravate you more than it needs to though. Aside from doing some testing and adding some chemicals to maintain things, you can sort of let things handle themselves. Test when you need to and be accurate. You don't have to stand out there with the pool the whole time or anything. Just keep checking up on it periodically, check your overnight losses, and post back here when things develop or questions arise. :goodjob:

If you are talking about determing the gallon size based on length, width, and average depth, I initially tried that. Unfortunately, that gallon result was not yielding accurate results when using the calculator and adding chemicals. I know I've got a few small unusual features such as "not quite rectangular" and sloping sides in the deep end, but you think I would be able to figure it out. Unfortunately, up to this point, I have not been able to.

Thanks,
Alan

So, it's not a perfect rectangle but it is close, as in, it has four sides? What are the measurements of each side?

How deep is it in the deep end, in the middle, and in the shallow end in feet and any remaining inches?

Good morning...I guess I have another 4-5 ppm overnight FC loss. However, I'm starting to question whether or not I will be able to truly make a determination that I have an overnight FC loss...and here's why: I invited a chemist friend of mine over to the house last night around 9:00. He witnessed as I got a FC reading with both my friend's TF-100 test kit that I've been borrowing, and my new TF-100 test kit that I got in the mail yesterday. The borrowed kit showed a reading of 19 and my new kit showed a reading of 22.5...that sounds understandable since they are two different kits with possibly different strength reagents. This morning, my chemist friend stopped by again on his way to work to witness my tests again. This is where it gets funny...my borrowed kit showed no FC loss. My new kit showed a reading of a 3ppm loss on the first try and a 5ppm loss on the second try minutes later. Call me crazy if you want, but the guy watching me does these sorts of tests all the time!! My pool looks great...but I guess I'll attempt to keep doing these overnight tests?

On my gallon determination issue, I have a sketch and about 4 or 5 pictures that I would like to put on the site to see if I can get some help determining my number of gallons. What is the best way for me to do this...can I post an album anywhere for you guys to view?

Thanks for everything,
Alan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back to my issue of gallon determination...I'm going to attempt to first attach a sketch I did of the pool with measurements, etc. One thing I discovered while doing this is there is really not a flat spot in the pool...all sides are gradually sloping from shallow to deeper and the bottom surface is always sloping from shallow to deeper. The best comparison I can draw is to a large bowl. I do want to point out that I did not attempt to measure the little semi-circles on both ends of the pool. I'm going to try to post some pictures after this post so you can get an idea of what you're looking at. I would love to get some input on what you think about the gallon size.

Thanks,
Alan[attachment=0:12q756fa]Pool Sketch.pdf[/attachment:12q756fa]

Attachments

• Pool Sketch.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 19
I averaged the shallow end depth as 4' and the deep end as 6'10", using those assumptions I get a bit over 18K gallons. Depending on the shape of the deep end floor and the contributions of the not-quite-flat ends I'd give that a plus-or-minus 1500 (i.e. 16.5 - 19.5).
--paulr

Here are some pictures to go along with my sketch.

Thanks,
Alan

GallonSize005.jpg

GallonSize004.jpg

GallonSize003.jpg

GallonSize002.jpg

GallonSize001.jpg

GallonSize006.jpg

At 6:00 this morning I was around 21 FC...at 2:00 this afternoon I was at 13.5. My CYA should be around 34 based on the fact that my 3.5lbs of CYA dissolved in the skimmer almost a day and a half ago. My pool is sparkly blue. Is this even reasonable?? I know it appears that I keep asking the same question every day...but I am blowing through CASH buying bleach!

Thanks,
Alan

First off, CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve so it may only be around halfway there right now.

You can distinguish between chlorine loss from sunlight vs. from killing algae or oxidizing organics in the pool by checking the overnight FC drop when the sun is off the pool. At a CYA level of 30 ppm, one can still lose a little over half the chlorine over a long sunny day. This is why in some areas, like Arizona, some people have their CYA levels higher, sometimes in the SWG pool range of 60-80 ppm though you have to be very diligent and careful about maintaining FC levels in that case since it's harder to fight an algae bloom when the CYA is higher.

Your chlorine loss does sound a bit high given that you measured at 2 PM, but an overnight test will tell you whether the loss truly is due mostly to sunlight. If your CYA didn't fully dissolve and is only, say, at 15 ppm, then your FC drop is reasonable.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not I'm actually fighting a true "mustard algae." I had quite a few yellow spots in the beginning, but know they are fewer and far between...and like someone posted earlier, they may actually be debris/dust/pollen, rather than mustard algae. Would it hurt for me to start maintaing a normal shock level rather than mustard algae level? I'm pretty certain that my overnight FC loss was around 1.5-2.0 last night.

Thanks,
Alan
IG
Fiberglass
Sand Filter
17,500 Gallons

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.