Pentair Intelliflo VF vs. Intelliflo VS 3050

I depends on how bad it is, which is difficult to judge over the Internet. If it is only having problems occasionally, you can leave it running for a couple of days no problem. If it is constantly filling with air and then recovering you will want to either try some temporary seal for the leak or cut the pump run time way way back.

Thanks JasonLion! You have no idea how much of a help you have been! I may just work around the pool and lay out this weekend so I can be near if it shuts off. If it does keep shutting on and off, is there something like silicone that I could put on there until Monday evening to "patch it" a little? I wouldn't know how to do anything else.

You can try sealing the leak with some two part plumbers epoxy putty. It is nearly impossible to get a good enough seal for a permanent fix that way, but with a little care you should be able to improve things significantly for now.

Hey! It's me again! All has been well with the pool lately after the pool repair guy came and fixed the leak. It was actually an O ring on one of the valves that needed to be replaced. It fixed the problem until now. My new problem is that I heard the pool pump stop this morning on its own and start back up again after about three seconds. There are no air bubbles. I did, however, yesterday, moved the filter to the "waste" position because we had a really bad rain and had to drain some water out of the pool. I cleaned out the skimmer basket in the pump, made sure I put some more water back into the basket, opened the air release valve for filter, turned the pump back on, and waited for the water to stream out of the air release valve before closing it. I can't think of what happened for the pump to do this again. Any ideas? I went ahead and just dialed down the speed to one of the low speeds for now.

If the pump really turned off, it was probably caused by overheating. It is also possible that the pump lost prime for a moment, without really turning off. Overheating is usually caused by a restriction that greatly reduces the water flow, while losing prime is caused by an air leak.

Check the skimmer to make sure there is a good amount of water flow and also check to be sure the skimmer isn't drawing in any air.

When you say, check the skimmer, do you mean the skimmer at the side of the pool? Or, the skimmer/strainer
basket at the pump? When I looked at it this morning after it had stopped for a moment, everything looked fine at the strainer basket (water flow). I wasn't right at the controls so I'm not sure if it totally turned off or not. By the time, I got over to it, it had started back up again. It seems like I have read where people have stated that these pumps have a tendency to turn off by themselves and back on. Is it just because they are so much more sensitive to air, etc. than everyone's older pumps?

I think I may have figured out what was wrong. While watching tv, I had my back window blinds open and the light on inside my pool on. I looked out and the light inside the pool was out. From what I saw, it was out for about three or four seconds (I'm not positive it wasn't off a few seconds longer but that's when I saw it.). Then, the pool light came back on! The pump and the inside pool light are connected to the same breaker which is right above all of the pool equipment. I went ahead and turned off the pump (and the electrical switch to the pump) and the inside pool light. I guess there must be something wrong with the breaker. Doesn't this sound like an electrical problem now?

Hey Poodlegirl, Can you add some info to your signature for us? (i.e. pump model, light model, pool type, filter, etc.) I'm trying to follow this but since it's not in your sig I'm having to go back and try to figure out what you have. The User Control Panel button is under the TFP logo on top left of the page.

I'm thinking it's a low voltage issue (which could be caused from a loose connection) but without knowing which equipment you have it's hard to say.

Hey Bama Rambler, I hope I did that right. I've been wanting to post a signature. Thanks for reminding me! Yes, after last night seeing that light go out, I now think it might be electrical this time. I have called someone to come out.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what kind it is. I bought my house three years ago and the light was in the pool then. I haven't had to replace it yet! It looks like a regular halogen bulb but I really don't know. Whatever the standard is. I don't think it is anything fancy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.