Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a weir door? That, and a few other questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a weir door? That, and a few other questions...

We are new owners of an old pool. Thanks to help from this site, we've gotten the water under control in the last few weeks, and now are trying to fix other issues. One thing that I noticed is that the skimmer does not have a door on it - does it need one? My husband doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. If it does need one, are they pressure mounted? I cannot see as to where it would install otherwise.

In addition, when I run the filter with the vacuum in the skimmer, it seems that I get a ton of air bubbles going through the return the entire time it's plugged in. I do fill the hose with water as best I can before plugging it in. Take the vacuum out, bubbles cease, as long as I have the port valve just right. When I run the system on full main drain or full skim I do get air in the lines. I plugged up a pinhole I found, but there has to be something else. I've seen a lot of mention of the o-ring on the pump cover. Does this refer to the gasket around the pump filter basket lid? I've noticed that ours has seen better days, but again, hubby doesn't seem to think replacing it would do anything at all. My thought is that if I were to replace it, it might improve the situation further...
    26,500 gallon, Hayward 200lb Sand Filter with Zeosand, 1HP Hayward Super pump, IG, vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Do I need a weir door? That, and a few other questions...

Yes, you need the weir. It assists greatly in skimming by creating a current in to the skimmer. Mine snaps into place in a slot on each side of the skimmer body.

It sounds like you are sucking air through the vacuum hose. Either cuts, etc. in the hose or the joints aren't snug.

If it sucks no air when the hose is removed, and starts sucking air when you insert the hose, then the hose-vacuum assembly must be the culprit.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A skimmer will draw in water just fine without a weir door, but it won't skim debris off the surface any where near as well.

The air in the returns is very likely caused by the bad o-ring/gasket on the lid of the pump strainer basket. From your description, it sounds like you could limp along with it the way it is, but it would be much better to replace it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have never heard of a weir door, what is that?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Its the little flapper door at the opening to the skimmer
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I have never heard of a weir door, what is that?
    sounds weird, doesn't it?

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

Try switching the vac hose around! (put the end on the vac head in the skimmer and vice versa) -- if the attachment cuff 'swivels', it should be on the vac head
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Do I need a weir door? That, and a few other questions..

I was told the only reason for a weir is to keep the leaves in skimmer instead of flowing back out when system if off/no suction...
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    I was told the only reason for a weir is to keep the leaves in skimmer instead of flowing back out when system if off/no suction...
    Was there a reason to pull up a 3 year old thread?

What you say is true, plus it does help to pull more water in from the surface instead of allowing water to flow in a few inches below the surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

They say use the search then if I post they say why you bring up old post... (me getting hit) lol
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop myself from posting in an old thread after searching. My mind seems to think that results universally equals new posts.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]