Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how are the floating pool lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

how are the floating pool lights?

Do any of them actually light up a significant water area or do they just look pretty floating on top?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Some of them are quite good. We have an 18 x 36 foot oval and the floating light seems to light up about half of the pool. The only problem we had was our daughter surfacing directly under the light and hitting her head. After that we gave up on it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

what was the light you were using , was it a glowbuoy (or something like that!)?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Yep, a GlowBouy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Anyone have anything new to say about these lights? I have been thinking of getting a GlowBuoy.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

6. Back To Top    #6

we have three of the funky disco lights...their fun with a bunch of drunks over

nothing to do with light but they do throw down some interesting patterns
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

7. Back To Top    #7
    I have one of the funky disco lights, not enough for my pool, yet still fun.
    This floating light we have is more of a novelty then actually providing any kind of useful light.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Yeah, I am looking for useful light and I don't care too much for the lights that hang on the side of an AG pool. The GlowBuoy looks like it would fit the bill, but seems kind of expensive for what it is. Also, I'm not sure how often we would really use it since I would also have to figure out some way to control the mosquitoes before we do any night swimming. However, GlowBuoy looks like it could pull double-duty as a camp light or when the power goes out.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

9. Back To Top    #9

Just toss some glow sticks from HD or Lowe's in the pool.

Kids love 'em - and they're disposable the next day

10. Back To Top    #10

new floating light

Speaking of disco. I saw a new floater that had a light show and a water display that shoots out of the top like a fountain. Anyone have one of these? The kids saw it and thought it would look really cool.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

11. Back To Top    #11

I have had my glow buoy for going on 3rd seasons. We love it! It could easily be used for a camp light or when power is out. It lights our 18x36 very well and when fully charged lasts alot longer than we care to swim at night!

12. Back To Top    #12
    i have them and they are ok. only problem i have with them is they tend to float towards the side of the pool and stay on the side. i fixed that by tying a fishing line to it and put a little weight and let the weight sit on the bottom and they usually stay put until someone swims through them.
    18' 52" deep laguna agp with pentair 1 1/2 hp pump and 22" filter, intex swg

13. Back To Top    #13

mine came with a suction cup and tether so it keeps it from floating about.