Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polmeric or regular sand for filling paving stone joints?

1. Back To Top    #1

Polmeric or regular sand for filling paving stone joints?

Our paving stone pool deck and patio is nearing completion but the joints have not been filled yet. A neighbor recommended that I talk to the contractor about using polymeric sand. He said that using polymeric sand will result in a much more stable patio and will stop weeds from growing in the joints.

I just got done browsing the paving stone manufacturer's web site and they have a line of polymeric sand that they sell. I also watched a video on the website showing the correct installation method of polymeric sand with their paving stones. I have mentioned this to my contractor before and if I remember correctly, he said that it would prevent drainage between the stones (which is something you want). I would like some opinions and pro's/con's before I talk to the contractor again about this. If this is a money issue for the contractor, I would rather pay an extra now to save me years of weeds and washed out joints later on.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polmeric or regular sand for filling paving stone joints?

Use the polymeric sand. Im sure your contractor knows what he's doing, but he's incorrect on the polymeric sand.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

we have the polymeric sand and it is wondeful. When it dries it becomes incredibly strong and you dont get any vegetation poking through.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Can you imagine how much sand you will drag into the pool with regualar sand in the joints when you walk on the pavers, and then go into the pool?

Our neighbors used regular sand with their pavers and had to clean out their canister filter within two weeks because of all the sand that got into the pool from the pavers.

Like the others said, go with the polymeric sand, you won't regret it.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts on the matter. I will talk to the contractor about the polymeric sand. Does anyone know how much of an up-charge it is for polmeric sand?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it possible that the contractor is counting on drainage to occur between the pavers? Were any drains installed anywhere in the patio? How is the patio graded? These answers may point to why he is not jumping on the polymeric sand idea.

Lana
    25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lana537
    Is it possible that the contractor is counting on drainage to occur between the pavers?
    In short, no. You dont drain a paver deck/patio thru the cracks. I suspect he's trying to save a buck or 2.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I spoke to the contractor again and he said "no problem" about using polymeric sand. To answer Lana's question, there are no drains in the patio and it is pitched away from the pool and away from the house.