Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: going on vacation for 10 days what do I do about my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

going on vacation for 10 days what do I do about my pool?

Okay guess so I just got my pool open and it looks great however I will be going on vacation the end of May for 10 days and I am concerned about leaving my pool. Last year I was on Baquagoo and didn't really do much, but this is my first season leaving with the BBB method. All my numbers are perfect my questions are as follows---

we leave are pump on 24/7 so should I check my levels the night before I leave, shock and cover with our solar cover? I have some one coming to check water levels, but I don't have anyone who knows anything about chemicals?

I do have some Pool Life solid tablets should I put those in skimmer before I leave and just leave uncovered?

Help, I am so worried and don't really want to hire our local pool store to monitor the pool.
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: going on vacation for 10 days what do I do about my pool?

10 days is kinda of a while. If it were 3 or 4 days, I would say shock it and cover it. But since it is 10 days, I would put some tablets in a floater and leave it uncovered. Anyone else agree or disagree?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, 10 days is really a long time for shock-and-cover.

It's hard to tell from their website but I'm guessing the Pool Life tabs are trichlor. In that case, they are ideal for vacations, preferably in a floating dispenser. Putting them in the skimmer is a poor second choice, although as long as the pump is on 24/7 it should be okay.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you figured out your usual Chlorine consumption yet? If so, couldn't you just ask a neighbor to come over and pour in a jug on day 5 or something? Anyone who might want to ensure an invitation to come swimming on some scorching day in August will do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The best choice is to get someone to come over and help take care of the pool while you are gone. If that is impossible, put in a trichlor floater set to it's lowest/slowest setting and cover the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I've done 9 day vacations, shocked and covered and come back to FC above my "min". I think if you add the floater too you'll be fine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I've done 9 day vacations, shocked and covered and come back to FC above my "min". I think if you add the floater too you'll be fine.
    Yeah, but you have that uber-dark cover. Most people have the light blue.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

Actually i didn't get that one till last year, when my trip was only 7 days. The 2 prior years I took 11 day and 9 day trips respectively and it was with the cheapy 6 ml light blue cover. The 11 day trip I had a friend add bleach on day 7 and the 9 day trip in 2008 I added none and came back to FC of 4.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com