Going to attempt to convert to salt water!

tim1 said:
Db, what do you recommend that I do next? I have not figured all of this out yet and am still trying to learn.
frustratedpoolmom said:
You need to get some liquid chlorine in there to raise your FC up to the "Target" to keep you above the "min" for your CYA level - and you need to do that ASAP.
Aside from the salt, your other numbers are fine and do not need any adjusting right now.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?

I have attempted to use it. I think I need to buy something to increase the ph, it says to washing soda, soda ash or borax. Which is the prefered to use? It also says a volume stabilizer, which can be cyanuric acid by the BBB. I also should add calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. To increase the ph I have no idea how much muriatic acid to use.I also have no idea how much cyanuric acid to use. How do I determine how uch of each to add? My pool holds 7600 gallons, hopefully you can tell me how to determine how much of each to add. THen its off to a hardware store or to Lowes to get the stuff I need to add. Thank you

As I mentioned before, your PH is fine :). When the SWG is operating - it will drift up on it's own, so don't worry about it.

With a vinyl pool, CH is not as important - your level is fine.

Go to the pool calc- you'll need to use the calc frequently so it's a good idea to learn how to use it now. Enter your current CYA result in the "now" box and the goal lets say 60 in the "target". Make sure it says 7,600 gallons in the size box up at the top. Hit calculate. It tells you how much CYA by weight and by volume. If you move the cursor over those results - it will convert it to ounces, pounds, cups, etc.

Have you added the chlorine yet? Do the same thing - enter your current result in the "now" and the "target" (get that from the CYA/Chlorine Chart) and hit calculate- it tells you how much bleach you need. Make sure you have the correct type selected (6% or 10% etc from the drop down menu, also select your jug sizes) then the cursor over the results box will convert it to jugs for you.

poolmom you are a great help. I have added the chlorine already. I used the calculator again and it says to add 26oz by weight or 27oz by volume of stabilizer and to add 29oz by weight or 26oz by volume of soda ash or washing soda. I sure hope UI can find these items in the town I live in. I really want to get this figured out and then continue to do it the right way.

Don't add the washing soda or soda ash - your TA and PH are both fine. :)
Put the stabilizer in a sock, tie a knot in the sock, and then use string to tie the sock in front of the return. The CYA will dissolve out of the sock - but don't test for the level for another 5-7 days.

bama rambler, thanks very much I have been reading and learning here for over a year!
tim1,
Here is a link to guidelines I use to adjust my water, it lists the order of adjustments for SWG pools: pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
I have found it is great help and it lists the recommended levels for SWG pools, I have it bookmarked along with TFP forum and pool calc.
I used bleach when we first started to clean up the mess that is now our pool, for shocking, and until we got our salt up and SWG going and FC levels up. I still use it for shocking. HTH

OK poolmom, I have done everything that you have recommended, the sock is dancing in the pool in front of the return. I have to drive to town today anyway so I an going to get the water tested just to get a more current reading. I am sure hoping to have a better chance at a trouble free pool maintaining adventure this summer. I will keep you posted, should have the water testes around 12:00 as the pool place does not open until 11:00

I just checked the water with an Aquachek 7 kit, I know this is not the recomended kit and I will order a REAL kits soon. The test showed that the Total Hardness and PH might be a little high. Should I do anything right now or wait until I can get a better test done at the pool store? I dont want to react to quickly and cause more problems until I am sure the readings are correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally got a chance to take another sample to the pool store today.
Here are the new numbers
TDS: 4900
CYA: 69
Tot Chl 2.4
Free Chl 2.4
pH; 7.8
Tot Alk: 118
Adj Tot Alk: 97
Tot Hard 197
Salt: 3300
It is raining and I was told to wait a couple days and have it checked again to see what the ph and salt readings are after the weather moves through.
I think the numbers are looking alot better then last week!

I would go ahead and add enough Muratic Acid to lower the PH down to 7.2.
The chlorine should be higher... target 4 and get some liquid chlorine to raise it - use the pool calculator. Do that as soon as you can....
Is the SWG operational yet?

Ok poolmom
TDS 5000
CYA 50
Tot Chl 2.4
Free Chl 2.4
pH 7.6
Tot Alk 121
Adj Alk 106
Tot Hard 181
Salt 4000
I think I might have finally got the pool water were it should be....... Now if I can just keep it there!

You're still running the FC level low. You really need to maintain a little higher level than 2.4.

You really need to get that new test kit ordered if you haven't already. I find it really strange the your FC tested exactly the same. I also find it strange that even though you've added acid to bring your pH down your TA went up. :scratch: (Ok, I don't really find it strange I just wanted to point out pool store's testing irregularities.)

OK I think you prodded me enough about the TF100.....lol. I just got off my wallet and ordered the kit. I keep seeing other posts with the same recommendation, so its time to follow all of your good advice. I (being totally disabled) hated to get off my credit card but it appears this is the only way to make sure the water/chemical balance stays in check. Maybe this year I will spend more then the 10-20 minutes a year IN the pool and not just looking at how nice it looked before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.