Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to SWG from bromine - draining pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to SWG from bromine - draining pool

I have an inground concrete pool that has been using bromine for many years. Between the cost of the bromine and the old brominator dying, I am in the process of purchasing a SWG. I'd like to get clarification on a couple of things if I could. I was told by one store that the conversion would be no problem, while a second told me I would need to drain the pool to get rid of the residual bromides.

1. Which is the correct answer? Do I need to drain?
    2. If I do need to drain, do I need to completely empty the pool to correct the issue?
    3. I've never drained the pool since I owned the house - are there any gotcha's or tricks that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting to SWG from bromine - draining pool

Yes, you need to drain if you want to get rid of the bromine.
    Here is a recent thread on this discussion:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/help-...ne-t19393.html

Be aware of your water table - if you have a high water table in your area you do risk damaging the pool when completely draining.

Also, verify there are no municipal restrictions when draining, some areas have specific steps or you risk fines, etc.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Yes, you need to completely replace all of the water. That may or may not be a problem depending on what kind of pool you have a how deep your water table is. You don't want to completely drain a vinyl liner pool, but can often drain a concrete/plaster/gunite pool, depending on the water table depth. There is a more complex alternative involving a really huge sheet of plastic to keep the old and new water separate if you can't drain the pool, but it has it's own complxities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys - I'll try and do some research to find out what the water table is like in my area. I'm hoping being near the top of a hill will mean it isn't as much of an issue.
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.