Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Salt

I have been looking to purchase pool salt for my newly installed SWG. I need to purchase about15 bags. The only options i have found close to home is Diamond Crystal Pool Salt or Morton Pool Salt. Does anyone have a preference or any experience on either? Positive or Negative?

Thanks
    25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Salt

I use Diamond Crystal Solar Salt: http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Water ... -Salt.aspx

My local hardware store sells a 50 lb bag for $4.95, which is much better than the 40 lb bag Leslie's sells for $9.99. And my hardware store loads it into my truck. I've had no problems with it. Just pour it into the deep end and wait about 20 minutes for it dissolve.
    35k / Hayward Swim Clear C4025 Cartridge Filter / Aqua Rite SWG / In ground / Pebble Tec

3. Back To Top    #3

All of the Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs in my region sell the Morton Pool Salt. I have not used it yet but others have stated it dissolves pretty easily. I paid $4.87 for a 40lb. bag.

JD
    20x44 IG with vinyl liner - 34,000 Gal.
    AutoPilot SWG
    Coverpool auto cover
    Hayward 1.5HP Northstar pump
    Hayward 244T Sand Filter w/glass media
    Raypak Digital 250K BTU heater
    Arctic Tundra Ultra Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the Morton's pool salt. $5.24 for 40 pounds at wallyworld
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the Morton pool salt at Walmart. I just wanted to make sure the salt wasn't a cheap type that would stain my pool. It's about $2 cheaper than the Diamond Crystal salt at Lowes.
    25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I've also have no problems with Mortons. (From Walmart). Dissolves pretty quick / no issues at all. and the price is good.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

7. Back To Top    #7

Diamond Crystals from Ace, Costco or supermarket. It will have a few rocks in it, though. The pellets don't. Dump and brush, dump and brush!
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

8. Back To Top    #8

I need to add 29 bags of salt to my pool to get my SWG up and going...I was dreading the thought of carrying all those bags...then a light bulb went on..well maybe a night light at least.

Anyway...I have a friend that owns a ready mix cement company, and they care both 99.9% pure liquid calcium chloride and fine granular calcium chloride. THey use it in cement mixes to slow the curing process...anyway....I have used this as driveway melt for years...would this work for getting salt into my pool?? I can have him deliver it in 50 gallon barrels if need be, and in the liquid state would be super easy to mix into the pool
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

NOOOO. Dont add calcium chloride. Your calcium hardness will be thru the roof and you will have scaling to beat the band. You can only use SODIUM chloride for a SWCG.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok...didn't know that....so NO CaCl2....only NaCl
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I just saw where you said you needed 29 bags of salt? Thats 1200 pounds, assuming 40 pound bags. A 30,000 gallon pool only needs about 800 pounds to get to ~3200 ppm. How did you do your calculations?

12. Back To Top    #12

Glad you asked.....I have a Compu Chlor SWG unit that is manufactured in Australia, and the SWG's that are manufactured over (or I guess under) there require around 5200 - 5500 PPM salt...not the usual 3200ppm that the U.S. brands recommend. My pool is 25,600 gallons...so to hit a level of 5500ppm, YES I need almos 1200 pounds

Dan

13. Back To Top    #13

You think about getting one that requires less salt? Thats really high. Why did you get that brand? Any special reason?

14. Back To Top    #14

the company has been in business for years making quality units for the pools in Australia, it's a no frills, easy to use design, and the price was right for up to 40,000 gallon pools.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just curious,

At 5500ppm, Can't you actually "taste" that much salt ?? If I'm not mistaken I thought most people could begin to taste it at about 5000ppm (some a little less).
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

16. Back To Top    #16

The average level at which people can start to taste salt is around 3,000, with fairly wide variation around that. Some people taste salt at lower levels, some only at higher levels. By the time salt is up near 5,500 nearly everyone can taste it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School