Very first TF100 test results, need advice

newpoolguyinmo

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Pool cover is still on, am opening end of this week but wanted to get a sneak preview of what I might find. I know the previous owner was pool stored so I expected high CYA. Sample was taken under the cover through the skimmer.

FC 7.5 (seems way high)
CC 0.5
TC 8.0
pH 6.8
TA 40
CH 350? (Solution turned from pink to purple at 260, and to light blue at 350)
CYA 80
Water temp 72 F

I know the readings will change once I have pump going and water curculating. Looks like I will need to do a partial drain and refill to lower CYA to around 30-50 ppm (water level is currently about 6 inches below bottom of skimmer).

Once I get cover off, should I drain some water and refill to lower CYA first and then retest? These numbers seem out of whack all around, so what order should I tackle them? Just use pool calcultor and adjust each level one at a time or do pH and FC first?

Most likely all of your numbers will change once you have the water circulating for a couple of hours. So nothing we suggest right now is likely to apply.

If those were your real opening numbers, I would suggest raising PH and TA with soda ash right away and then trying to live with the higher than normal CYA level for a while.

If you add 9-10" of water to bring the level up to your skimmer, your CYA is going to go down anyway. Get it full, get it circulating, and then get new readings.

For what it's worth - CYA readings are very temperature dependent, as I recently discovered. The reaction between the sample and the reagent is sluggish when cold. You can gain 20ppm without doing anything but letting it sit in the sun. You could mix that first, shake it, and stick it in your pocket, or clamp it between your legs, something to warm it up. Do the rest of your tests, then shake up the CYA test good and start reading. Pour it back into the mixing jar, shake again, repeat. If I get the same reading 3 or 4 times out of 6, that's what I call it.

Richard320 said:
For what it's worth - CYA readings are very temperature dependent, as I recently discovered. The reaction between the sample and the reagent is sluggish when cold.
Yeah, but OP also reported a temp of 72F which should be fine for the CYA test.
Richard320 said:
Pour it back into the mixing jar, shake again, repeat. If I get the same reading 3 or 4 times out of 6, that's what I call it.
This is always worth doing. I do the black-dot part at least 3 times to make sure I'm being consistent.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.