Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No CYA in the pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

No CYA in the pool!

I have an indoor swimming pool with a retractable roof, since the weather has been gorgeous, I've been opening the roof. However, my CYA registers as "Low" on the LaMotte ColorQ & as soon as the roof is open, the FC drops drastically. I'm using sodium hypochlorite & I have a chemical controller.
    Can I add a stabilizer? Will this help in maintaining my FC level?
    126,000 indoor recreational pool with a retractable roof.
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the mixture of two chemicals; if a reaction occurs, both are transformed.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: No CYA in the pool!

The short answer is yes. A low level of CYA (around 20ppm) works well for an indoor pool and will noticeable slow the loss of FC from the sun. Chemgeek is the expert concerning that situation so he may be along to expand on my answer but your idea to add the CYA (around 20ppm) is a very good one.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the roof is often retracted, you can easily go up to 30ppm on the CYA - the key is to maintain the proper FC to CYA relationship - refer to the chart (see my sig.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I will add in the appropriate amount in order to keep my FC from dropping.
    Thank you!
    126,000 indoor recreational pool with a retractable roof.
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the mixture of two chemicals; if a reaction occurs, both are transformed.

5. Back To Top    #5

If your indoor pool doesn't get much sun at all, then 20 ppm CYA should be OK, but if it gets some sun as you described, 30 ppm might be better. You can always try out 20 ppm CYA and see how that works for you; it's easy to add more, but harder to lower it as you have to dilute the water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"