Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a Test Kit

I am looking to purchase a pool test kit and would like some feedback if possible. Are digital testers worth the extra money? They do take some the guesswork out of the equation as my wife and i usually have differing opinions on where the test strip falls on the color scale. But i saw where the Taylor complete kit also says it take guesswork out by titration.

Also, is a salt meter needed to keep an eye on salt levels?

We have been chlorine tablet users but are switching to salt this year.

Thanks
    25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying a Test Kit

A drop-based test kit is the way to go for most folks on here. The Taylor K-2006, which I have, is a great kit. The TF-100 is a better value. The only reason that I don't have the TF-100 is because I had the Taylor K-2006 originally.

Some electronic testers are known to be reliable but only as long as they are properly calibrated. I have used strips to test for borates. Some use strips to measure salt.

See the following link for some comparisons between the major test kits...

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Me & alot of others here love our The TF-100.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

I second that
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the TF-100 test kit and it is great. Great service and fast shipping.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, the support for the TF100 on this board is superb. Duraleigh sells these and is a regular on these forums (fora?). He is quick with a reply, very knowledgeable, and very helpful.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

7. Back To Top    #7

TF-100 all the way.. Been using it for a few years and just bought the new 2010 version.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

8. Back To Top    #8

I just did a search for the Tf-100 and everything that returned was Taylor k-####. Is there another number for this or has it been replaced by a newer model?

Thanks
    25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure what happened to your search, but TF100 or TF-100 all bring back TF100 hits for me.
    Try re-typing your search.

Are you looking for the website? If yes, link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!