Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results. Your opinion

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results. Your opinion

First of all this was my first test with the TF-100 and it couldn't have been easier to use. I have been using test strip for testing until reading how inaccurate they can be. I feel the $68 was cheap insurance for the family and liner .

My results are:
    FC 6.5
    CC .5
    TC 7.0
    pH 7.5
    T/A 290
    CH 60
    CYA 55
    Temp 90
    Clarity Crystal Clear

The numbers have looked like this from June 22 (according to test strips) when everything was clear and stable. I think everything looks good from what I have learned, but should the T/A come down some or is it o.k? and my TC could come down a little (the test strips had my TC at a 3 and my FC at a 3) I have been adding no more than 8 oz of chlorinating granules per day.
    I know that I have to test my TC daily, but how often do you test everything else? Let me know what you think and what changes I need to make.
    Thanks
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

98xc600,
    Your low CH offsets the high TA. But with TA that high, your pH may tend to rise, depending on your primary source of chlorine. This of course can be controlled with muriatic acid, but you might want to use aeration with muriatic to get the TA down. In the meantime you might want to shock to blow the CC away. Other than that, looks good to me.

As far as testing schedule, that partially depends on the pool's "personality". If you know the pH will rise, for example, you may have to test it more often than others do. The TA will pretty much stay where it is, or change very slowly. I only check TA when adjusting pH. CH isn't going to move much either. Same with cya.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

3. Back To Top    #3
    I'm sure there's no hard fast rule for it but how long would you aerate to lower your TA to acceptable levels? I would be using just one return jet, turned up to the surface to do the job. it pushes the water up about 6" above the surface.
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

you should do a test with the strip and with the new test kit for a comparo
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sredish
    you should do a test with the strip and with the new test kit for a comparo
    I did just to see the difference and the result were
    total hardness between 250 & 1000 ppm (little to far of a test range to even call it a test result)
    TC 3
    FC 3
    PH 7.2 - 7.8
    TA off the chart at 180
    CYA 50

It wasn't close enough for me to ever use test strips again, now that I have the TF-100 you can see exactly what you have for a level and not guessing at what shade of color it is compared to the bottle.
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 98xc600
    I'm sure there's no hard fast rule for it but how long would you aerate to lower your TA to acceptable levels? I would be using just one return jet, turned up to the surface to do the job. it pushes the water up about 6" above the surface.
    It depends both on how much aeration you can achieve and on how much attention you pay to it. The more frequently you can bring down the PH back to 7.0-7.2 the more quickly it will go. For some people that amount of reduction seems to take a few days and others work at it for a couple of weeks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Do I have to drop my TA, is it going to cause any problems at this level? My pH has been stable. I also bought 6 gallons of clorox (6%) to start using instead of the 4 in 1 chlorinating granules that have all the other stuff in it that I don't need to be adding. can I just start using it or is their some sort of transition I need to do? If I can how much do I add to equal the 8oz of granular per day? The granular had 71.8% trichloro-s-triazinetrione.

Thanks for your help!
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

8. Back To Top    #8
    With a vinyl liner and low CH levels the only issue most people see with high TA is rising PH. If your PH is reasonably stable then there isn't any need to do anything about the TA right now. I suspect that your PH will drift up, even if slowly. As long as you keep an eye on it and don't let it get above 7.8 there shouldn't be any problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School