Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Most efficient 3/4hp low cost pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Most efficient 3/4hp low cost pump?

The 1HP pump I thought I was getting ended up being a 1.5HP, so I'm gonna pass on the trade and try to sell my 2hp pump on craigslist.

I went to the pool store and they have dozens of pumps to choose from. They stock 5 models of 3/4 horse pumps and have many more they can order. Which 3/4 horse model do you all recommend for a 12,000 gallon pool? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck, both in initial cost and long term electric costs.

I'd love an Intelliflo, but that's a bit out of my budget. Which would you recommend and why? Any I should definitely avoid?

Denis

P.S. - You guys are so helpful, I just became a Lifetime Member!
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Most efficient 3/4hp low cost pump?

It seems that a lot of the ITI (in-the-industry) guys like the Pentair pumps. They pretty much all use the same motor so it comes down to the wet end. I don't have enough experience with these tiny pumps to have an opinion but I'd stay with a major mfg that's readily available in my area and then go with whoever (or is that whomever) had the best warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Surprisingly, the Pentair seem to be about the same price or less than the equivalent Hayward. I'm just hoping people have some specific experiences before I spend any more money.
    Clearwater, Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the Pentair WhisperFlo high efficiency pumps. (Not all of the WhisperFlo models are high efficiency.) They do really well compared to other single speed pumps in amount of water moved per watt and are reliable and easy to deal with.

There is a very through comparison of pump efficiency in Pool Pump Energy Cost Comparison, though it may be a little technical for some.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I like the Pentair WhisperFlo high efficiency pumps. (Not all of the WhisperFlo models are high efficiency.)
    Sooo... you would rate this unit to be efficient and good enough for a 12,000 gallon pool?

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... ~4826.html
    Clearwater, Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

The WF-23 is an uprated 3/4 HP pump and is similar to the full rated WF-2 1/2 HP pump. These are the standard efficiency series pumps.

If you want a bit more efficiency (~12% more), then you want the WFE series of pumps. The WFE-2/WFE-23 has similar head curve as the WF-23 but the efficiency is about 12% better. Of course you will pay more for the pump as well.

But with the WF-2/WF-23 or the WFE-2/WFE-23, your flow rate will decrease by about 25% from your current pump but still more than enough for a 4 hour turnover.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Mark - Do you mean the WFE-2 and WFE-3? I have been googling WFE-23 and not finding any results.

But that said, the WFE-3 looks like a good deal for what it claims to be:

$405 - http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/product_ ... cts_id=277

$399 - http://www.aquapoolstore.com/mm5/mercha ... SP-FLO-EFF

$399.95 - http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/pentairpump.html

Now only if I could find one in a retail store here. Pinch a Penny has them, but they want $599 for them. :\
    Clearwater, Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, nix the WFE-23, it doesn't exist. The equivalent pump to the WF-2/WF-23 but in higher efficiency is the WFE-2. The WFE-3 is a full rated 3/4 HP pump and is bigger than the WFE-2 which is a full rated 1/2 HP pump. The WFE-2 is harder to find but will be slightly more efficient than the WFE-3 since it is a smaller pump but the WFE-3 is good too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there a comparable Hayward to the WFE-2 or WFE-3?

Seems most places that have either of the Pentair pumps in stock are in California, so it'd be at least a week before I got my pump. I was looking to purchase something and have it in the next 2 days, if possible.
    Clearwater, Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

WFE-2 Equivalent
    Northstar SP4005NS
    TriStar SP3205EE

WFE-3 Equivalent
    Northstar SP4007NS
    SuperII SP3007EEAZ
    TriStar SP3207EE
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

Excellent! Three different local pool stores have the SuperII SP3007EEAZ in stock, so I'll buy one today. Thanks for all the help!
    Clearwater, Florida