Pool Plaster Discolorations

No I do not have any dry acid but could get some.
I don't have the pH level this morning b/c I don't have my test kit (yet) but will go to Leslie's this morning after the gym (yuck!) and let ya know.

What Bruce is saying is true in that the color is almost off white/cream. But no, it didn't look like that at the very beginning. That's why I think it's some sort of "coating" that has formed on it but it will NOT brush off!! I did notice today that the top step (where the wet-edge tech said he used some Jack Magic stuff on) looked much better---I can see WAY more of the antigua blue color coming through on that step. I'm gonna snap a photo of the top step so you can see it.

Bruce...what about the brown areas on the BOTTOM of the pool? That is definitely tan/brown. Honestly looks like dirt or sand but it doesn't budge. Can you see that in the photos?

PB supposed to call today with decision on who is paying for the acid bath. It's only $125 so I don't want to make a huge stink but...if it's something they caused I definitely will fight them on it. Ugggh.

Quick Update: I can definitely see where the Vitamin C tablets were. The dark cream areas are lighter there. Not GONE but definitely lighter. Also, I gave the pool a quick brushing and noticed I seemed to be moving more "dirt" (brown stuff that moved...lol) than usual. We still do not have landscaping so I often have sand and dirt but today seemed like more. The stains are still there but it there any chance that whatever it is was lifted slightly by adding the muratic acid and when I brush it came up? It flows just like dirt through the brush, though, and I don't notice a difference in the brown underneath it looking any lighter...but could it just be a thick layer that needs loosend up and maybe the acid bath will do the trick? It just looks mottled everywhere...steps are cream in color with tan in the crevices (not dirt) and the bottom of the pool is more of a tan mottling.

Will post pH when I return. Thanks, Guys!

I've been working on lifting scale from my blue plaster for months now. It is slowly releasing. The scale stains much more than the plaster and holds the stain much harder/longer than the plaster so that staining is slower to release. The staining I get from iron, that comes from our silt, is just like the colors you describe.

Sequestrate is now a regular part of pool maintenance now and will be a forever thing I suppose to keep the stains away. That along with good water balance. I did an Ascorbic Acid treatment in the fall. The staining on the scale was the last to release. And I'm happy to report that the sequestrate, 7.2 pH, and brushing is very slowly releasing the remaining scale. No stains all winter also. :-D

gg=alice

I see the note about not having landscaping yet, so we may be on to something! What is around the perimeter of your pool, and how far? Decking, or dirt? I will not allow a pool to be plastered before decks are down, as any dirt that falls onto fresh plaster will stain and will not come out. You will not have as much of a problem if that is the case in a pebble pool, since the majority of your finish is rock, but the plaster will hold the dirt (plaster takes 28 days to fully cure out).

I still think an acid wash or in pool acid treatment should produce good results, from what I can see in the pictures. As for who pays for it, I would think that if the exposure was bad from the beginning, then the plaster company should step up. If dirt did get in to the pool and create the staining, then I would not be holding the plaster company responsible.

I can't really see the brown areas in the picture on the bottom, but it sure sounds like dirt/sand that has locked in to the plaster to me. Again, it should release on the rock, but will most likely remain in the plaster areas of the finish if that is the case.

simicrintz said:
I see the note about not having landscaping yet, so we may be on to something! What is around the perimeter of your pool, and how far? Decking, or dirt? I will not allow a pool to be plastered before decks are down, as any dirt that falls onto fresh plaster will stain and will not come out. You will not have as much of a problem if that is the case in a pebble pool, since the majority of your finish is rock, but the plaster will hold the dirt (plaster takes 28 days to fully cure out).

I still think an acid wash or in pool acid treatment should produce good results, from what I can see in the pictures. As for who pays for it, I would think that if the exposure was bad from the beginning, then the plaster company should step up. If dirt did get in to the pool and create the staining, then I would not be holding the plaster company responsible.

I can't really see the brown areas in the picture on the bottom, but it sure sounds like dirt/sand that has locked in to the plaster to me. Again, it should release on the rock, but will most likely remain in the plaster areas of the finish if that is the case.

There is about 3 feet of decking surrounding the pool. I also wondered if dirt is what got in there and ended up staining/soaking in while it was curing. I'm beginning to wonder if what I'm seeing on the steps (that looks cream-colored and then darker in the corners) is different than what I'm seeing in the deeper end where it is definitely brown. Heck if I know what it is. I snapped a few pics that hopefully will show it a bit better today.

http://pbckt.com/sx.d7GP

It's really hard to tell from the pictures still, but I am suspecting dirt/sand got in. On the other hand, I'm not real impressed with the exposure from what I can see in the picture either! I wish I was closer; I'd love to come by and see it in person!

Assuming what I think I am seeing, I would think that another acid wash would be in order. There may be some dirt, but the exposure just looks poorly done to me also. A drain (bummer!) and acid wash and refill is probably the best plan of attack at this point. Maybe you could offer to pay for the water and have the PB pay for the acid wash? Don't forget that you'll need all new start up chemicals again as well.

It could be bad exposure and the staining is causing the bad exposure to be more pronounced because it stands out more.

Perhaps a few days with the lower PH will make a difference, if not I agree with negotiating with the PB - for them to not give you care instructions is pretty lousy....after all it was a huge investment.

Do any of the new pics show where the wetedge rep tested with Jack's?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can try the trichlor tablet on the brown stains, see if that does anything at all (doubtful). If you have dry acid, you can put some in an old sock, tie a knot, and set it on the stains, see if that changes anything.

I'm hoping that since this is so new just the lower PH will help release the staining; but I think sequesterant is needed for that to work if it's metals.

hawkeyes said:
Will the acid bath help?

That's a good question, I would hope so - but I don't think you should have to pay anything for it. Since the pool is so new, it just seems to me any surface discoloration should be part of the warranty - especially since the care instructions were essentially nil.

frustratedpoolmom said:
hawkeyes said:
Will the acid bath help?

That's a good question, I would hope so - but I don't think you should have to pay anything for it. Since the pool is so new, it just seems to me any surface discoloration should be part of the warranty - especially since the care instructions were essentially nil.

I agree. I'm also ticked b/c they were suppose to schedule this with me yesterday and I didn't receive a call. I was so pleased with this PB during the BUILD process...the communication was fantastic. The follow-up AFTER the sale has been a humongous disappointment.

I added the 20 oz of acid a couple of hours ago. Do you know how long I need to wait before testing the pH again?

Still waiting on my home test kit to arrive so I went back to Leslie's for another analysis. Why the heck is my pH going UP?? It was at 8, got it down to 7.4 by adding acid, tried to get it down to 7.2 at the recommendation here so added another 20 oz of acide....not today it's at 7.6.

Here are the numbers:
FAC 5
TAC 5
Salt 3300
CYA 100
TA 100
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phos 100

As for the stains I'm seeing I am still waiting on direction from teh pool builder. The more I research, the more I think dirt settled in the plaster while curing. The areas of 'cream/white" i think are poor exposure. :(

But isn't the plaster cured by now? It's been almost 3 months since it was filled. So I should go ahead and add another 40 oz of acid like the pool calculator is telling me?

Also...do you know where I would begin to find an independent party to come out and assess the stains and exposure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.