New (to me) Pool

Baking soda will have little affect on pH.

There's more than one way to do it, but the simplest is to raise TA with baking soda (perhaps 80, if you like), then adjust the pH down with muriatic if your pH has changed enough for you to notice.

TA is now 60. Gonna add another 12 lb bag of baking soda to bring it up to around 90.

FC has fallen from 5-6 to 2 in two days. pH holding at 7.2, gotta pick up some soda ash tomorrow.

Waiting another couple days to retest my CYA,

Thanks so much you guys, especially Jason for The Pool Calculator, you have made this too easy.

Tested today after waiting 4 days since I added CYA.

FC = 5
pH = 7.2
TA = 100
CH = 0
CYA = 35

I think I did the CH wrong last time.
I redid it twice tonight and it never turned red indicating calcium. I assume this means a reading of 0.
Does this sound correct?
Do I even need to worry about calcium with a vinyl liner?

I suspect my CYA may keep going up slightly over the next day or so????

Now on to the pH.
Was going to use soda ash but have been mulling over going the borate route.
I am just curious as to how safe borates are for children, as we have a child who tends to ingest water when swimming.

BTW...Pool is crystal clear. THANKS!

kcjonz said:
I think I did the CH wrong last time.
I redid it twice tonight and it never turned red indicating calcium. I assume this means a reading of 0.
Does this sound correct?
Do I even need to worry about calcium with a vinyl liner?
A vinyl liner doesn't have to worry about CH being too low; you do want to know if it's too high. CH of 0 is possible but does sound suspicious. Try this alternate technique: Take your sample, and put in maybe 5 drops of R-0012 first. Then do your R-0010 and R-0011; if it still doesn't turn red, I'm inclined to think CH really is zero. If it does turn red, continue with the R-0012, remembering to count the first few drops in your total. (Adding some R-0012 first is a trick for working around interference from other stuff in the water, it's documented on the Taylor website.)
--paulr

kcjonz said:
I suspect my CYA may keep going up slightly over the next day or so????

Now on to the pH.
Was going to use soda ash but have been mulling over going the borate route.
I am just curious as to how safe borates are for children, as we have a child who tends to ingest water when swimming.

Your CYA might go up a bit more, but I wouldn't expect much more after four days.

The amount of borax you'll need to add to bring your pH up shouldn't be enough to hurt. An alternative method would be to aerate your water to bring your pH up. It's a slow process, but it's borax-free. Your pH isn't terribly low, so you could go the aeration route and be OK, I would think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.