Ok, maybe I missed it, and I apologize in advance, but I need help.
We just purchased an 18' above ground pool. We are having it installed where a pool was before. It was not there when we moved in 12 years ago, just the circle where it used to be.
When I talk to these pool store people, they all tell me different stuff. I believe I am an intelligent person, but this is a whole new world. I searched on the internet and after finding so much information (way too much), I seem to be more confused on what I need than when I started. I kept coming back to this site, which makes more sense to me than all the info I had read anywhere else. Even after reading & skimming the Pool School link, I still am not seeing what I am looking for. I was hoping somewhere to find a laundry list of what I need from the very start, since I am not re-opening a pool etc. I just need a list. So here is some other information that may or may not be important.
I live in Union, Missouri 63084, I am pretty sure my city water is from a well source.
1) Should I get a test kit and test it ahead of time?
2) What do I need to do to get a pool started? I know that some of the stuff comes with the pool, but if I use the BBB method, what do I need to do at the very start?
3) What about an automatic chlorinator? Is that the floating rubber ducky thing? Or is that a piece of equipment? I know the pool store said it costs extra, do I need it with the BBB method?
4) Do I need to buy a solar blanket? Will this cause water issues?
5) I don't want to swim in a pool of chemicals, is the BBB method safer than packaged chemicals? (meaning made for pool chemicals)
Also, does anyone have issues with horseflies? What do you do about them? I am terrified of them and I know they are attracted to water, so I am curious how others handle this issue.
I probably have more questions, but I can't think of them all right now. Thanks so much for this website.