Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    I have a inground spa attached to pool. It has its own main drain and 3 jets. It has a short wall dividing it from the pool. So water from the pool spills into the spa. In front of pump there are 3 valves: Pool main drain, pool skimmer and spa main drain. In order to heat the water, should I close the 2 pool valves and open the spa main drain valve? It seems to make the pump work harder when I do that, but I'm trying to heat spa as fast as possible. The spa is about 400 gallons. I also want to know how long it should take to heat up.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Back To Top    #2
    polyvue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, California USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolby
    I have a inground spa attached to pool. It has its own main drain and 3 jets. It has a short wall dividing it from the pool. So water from the pool spills into the spa. In front of pump there are 3 valves: Pool main drain, pool skimmer and spa main drain. In order to heat the water, should I close the 2 pool valves and open the spa main drain valve? It seems to make the pump work harder when I do that, but I'm trying to heat spa as fast as possible. The spa is about 400 gallons. I also want to know how long it should take to heat up.
    The spa is set at a lower elevation than the pool? I don't know that I've seen that before. Could you post back with information about your heater? (what type... brand/model/BTUs) Also, could you be more specific about how you know the pump is working harder? Because it's louder? Increased PSI at the filter gauge?

    Can't imagine trying to heat a spa without isolating it from the pool... you not only don't want pool water feeding into your pump (so closing off pool valves and opening the spa drain valve that go in to the pump is right) but you want to be sure that instead of water returning to the pool it is supplying the spa.

    The plumbing experts may have more to say about your configuration and different questions to ask you.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Central NJ
    Posts
    3,192

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    In This Order:

    Open Spa Drain. If it's on a 3 way valve, that should isolate it from the pool. If there are individual 2 way valve, open the spa drain 1st, then close the skimmer and main drain valves.

    Open the spa return valves and close the pool return valves. It is not unusual for the pressure in the filter to increase some.

    Turn on the pool heater.

    That should do it.

    Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    Thanks guys I will try those things when I get home. I didn't turn off jets to pool, I know. I will let you know the outcome.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    In This Order:

    Open Spa Drain. If it's on a 3 way valve, that should isolate it from the pool. If there are individual 2 way valve, open the spa drain 1st, then close the skimmer and main drain valves.

    Open the spa return valves and close the pool return valves. It is not unusual for the pressure in the filter to increase some.

    Turn on the pool heater.

    That should do it.

    Scott
    That's how I do it.....takes about 10 minutes to get to 100 degrees. Shut the whole pool off.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vero Beach, FL
    Posts
    462

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolby
    Thanks guys I will try those things when I get home. I didn't turn off jets to pool, I know. I will let you know the outcome.
    If you forget to shut off the pool returns, you will know quickly because the water level in the spa will start to drop. And if you are not paying attention, the pump will run dry when the spa is all drained. Unless your spa really is lower than the pool, but I'm thinking you meant to say the spa overflows into the pool.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry
    JoshU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    524

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    On a non-plumbing related note: Is the spa covered? At the very least a solar cover would be very helpful. Full thermal foam covers are also custom made for in-ground spas. A very good majority of heat is escaping from the surface so a cover would fix this.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Central NJ
    Posts
    3,192

    Re: Fastest way to heat up attached spa

    If this were a contest (tongue in cheek):

    My method: Get some fuel rods from the nearest Nuclear Power plant and drop them in. Might anger some people but it would heat it so fast, Josh's spa cover would blow off!

    Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •