Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: in need of help

  1. Back To Top    #1

    in need of help

    i have a 15ft above ground pool and this year i have drained it twice as the bottom of the pool keeps going dirty and when i scrub it the water turns greenish i am using 20g multi tablets and also chlorine, all levels are as they should be when i test water. i was told to shock the pool every time this apears by the people i got the chemicals off but still there i even added some algaecide to see if that helped and still the same so i begging for any advice as kids are desperate to use it
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Noctiss

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Read the stickies, linked in my signature.
    Post your numbers and we can help you!

    Welcome to TFP!

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    hi the test results are ph 7.6mg/l
    chlorine 8mg/l
    alkalinity 80 mg/l did shock the pool a few hours ago though
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Noctiss

  4. Back To Top    #4
    NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,582
    What are you using to test your pool?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    test strips that came with the pool last year
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Noctiss

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Is it an Intex pool?
    You need to go to a pool store with a sample of your water, then post the results.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!


    Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    487
    First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.

    Second, where did your water come from? Is it well water? If well, get your water tested for metals. The metals may be reacting with the chlorine. The water turns greenish brown. If metals you need a sequestrant/chelating agent. This is a problem I had. But if this happens only when you scrub it is probably algae

    Third if this is algae (I just got done fighting a serious bloom) the algaecide does squat. if you don't have extras already to get 2 or 3 more filters and some filter cleaner. Then figure out how much chlorine (you can just go buy ordinary bleach) you need to shock your pool up to ~30 PPM. Then run your pump 24x7. Scrub to get stuff off the sides/bottom and shock the pool up to 30 PPM. Hold that level for at least 48hrs, 3 days is better. While the hlorine is up that high there should ne no swimming. Scrub as often as you can and change the filter for a clean one out at least twice a day. I scrubbed in the morning twice about 3 hrs apart and in the evening the same.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

  8. Back To Top    #8
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.
    Don't swim unless appropriate chlorine levels are holding. Live algae can lower the chlorine level very quickly, making the pool unsafe.

    Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    Then figure out how much chlorine (you can just go buy ordinary bleach) you need to shock your pool up to ~30 PPM. Then run your pump 24x7. Scrub to get stuff off the sides/bottom and shock the pool up to 30 PPM. Hold that level for at least 48hrs, 3 days is better.
    The level to bring chlorine up to to shock depends on your CYA level. I would not go as high as 30 ppm without knowing your CYA level.

    The best investment in your pool you can make is a good test kit!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.
    Don't swim unless appropriate chlorine levels are holding. Live algae can lower the chlorine level very quickly, making the pool unsafe.
    Unsafe how? I grew up swimming in lakes and ponds that were never chlorinated and I'm sure they had algae somewhere in 'em.

    Edited bb code TMQ
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

  10. Back To Top    #10
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    Not all lakes and ponds are safe. One popular swimming hole where I used to live was closed every couple of years because of disease causing bacteria.

    Living lakes and ponds have active biological systems in them. When things are in balance harmless bacteria out compete the dangerous ones, killing them off. And other organic matter, such as viruses are broken down and used as food. In a swimming pool without sanitizer things are way out of balance biologically and it is quite possible for harmful bateria to thrive and for viruses to survive for long periods. The most common risk is person to person disease transmission through the water, but even if you are the only person swimming in the pool there are other less likely, but still common enough, disease transmission routes (animals, airborne dust, etc).

    Appropriate chlorine levels kill off nearly everything quite quickly, eliminating nearly all of the risk.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    487
    Good point Jason. I've been swimming in lakes and ponds all my life and never really thought about it.

    Hmm.... Balance huh? Maybe I could get some algae eating shrimp or something to live in my pool?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Guest
    If you want some reality on unsafe water check the history of the polio epidemic of the 50's. Much of the trasmission was suspected to have occured in public swimming pools!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •