in need of help

manc77

New member
Jul 22, 2007
3
#1
i have a 15ft above ground pool and this year i have drained it twice as the bottom of the pool keeps going dirty and when i scrub it the water turns greenish i am using 20g multi tablets and also chlorine, all levels are as they should be when i test water. i was told to shock the pool every time this apears by the people i got the chemicals off but still there i even added some algaecide to see if that helped and still the same so i begging for any advice as kids are desperate to use it
 

crokett

Well-known member
Jul 17, 2007
535
Hillsborough, NC
#7
First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.

Second, where did your water come from? Is it well water? If well, get your water tested for metals. The metals may be reacting with the chlorine. The water turns greenish brown. If metals you need a sequestrant/chelating agent. This is a problem I had. But if this happens only when you scrub it is probably algae

Third if this is algae (I just got done fighting a serious bloom) the algaecide does squat. if you don't have extras already to get 2 or 3 more filters and some filter cleaner. Then figure out how much chlorine (you can just go buy ordinary bleach) you need to shock your pool up to ~30 PPM. Then run your pump 24x7. Scrub to get stuff off the sides/bottom and shock the pool up to 30 PPM. Hold that level for at least 48hrs, 3 days is better. While the hlorine is up that high there should ne no swimming. Scrub as often as you can and change the filter for a clean one out at least twice a day. I scrubbed in the morning twice about 3 hrs apart and in the evening the same.
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#8
crokett said:
First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.
Don't swim unless appropriate chlorine levels are holding. Live algae can lower the chlorine level very quickly, making the pool unsafe.

crokett said:
Then figure out how much chlorine (you can just go buy ordinary bleach) you need to shock your pool up to ~30 PPM. Then run your pump 24x7. Scrub to get stuff off the sides/bottom and shock the pool up to 30 PPM. Hold that level for at least 48hrs, 3 days is better.
The level to bring chlorine up to to shock depends on your CYA level. I would not go as high as 30 ppm without knowing your CYA level.

The best investment in your pool you can make is a good test kit!
 

crokett

Well-known member
Jul 17, 2007
535
Hillsborough, NC
#9
JasonLion said:
crokett said:
First, the kids can use the pool. If it is algae it is not going to kill them. It just makes the water look yucky.
Don't swim unless appropriate chlorine levels are holding. Live algae can lower the chlorine level very quickly, making the pool unsafe.
Unsafe how? I grew up swimming in lakes and ponds that were never chlorinated and I'm sure they had algae somewhere in 'em.

Edited bb code TMQ
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#10
Not all lakes and ponds are safe. One popular swimming hole where I used to live was closed every couple of years because of disease causing bacteria.

Living lakes and ponds have active biological systems in them. When things are in balance harmless bacteria out compete the dangerous ones, killing them off. And other organic matter, such as viruses are broken down and used as food. In a swimming pool without sanitizer things are way out of balance biologically and it is quite possible for harmful bateria to thrive and for viruses to survive for long periods. The most common risk is person to person disease transmission through the water, but even if you are the only person swimming in the pool there are other less likely, but still common enough, disease transmission routes (animals, airborne dust, etc).

Appropriate chlorine levels kill off nearly everything quite quickly, eliminating nearly all of the risk.
 

crokett

Well-known member
Jul 17, 2007
535
Hillsborough, NC
#11
Good point Jason. I've been swimming in lakes and ponds all my life and never really thought about it.

Hmm.... Balance huh? Maybe I could get some algae eating shrimp or something to live in my pool? :wink:
 
G
#12
If you want some reality on unsafe water check the history of the polio epidemic of the 50's. Much of the trasmission was suspected to have occured in public swimming pools!