Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: tiki lamp oil in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: tiki lamp oil in pool

The original question, that resulted in these replies, seems to have gone missing. JasonLion

You want to soak up, or skim out, as much of the oil as you can by hand first. The more you can remove, the sooner the pool will be back to normal. They make special sponge like things that soak up oil and mostly ignore water.

Chlorine alone will break down the oil eventually. Enzyme products can speed that process up. Either way it is still going to take a little while to get rid of it completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Try a 'scumball' to remove surface oils. BTW - they are usually reusable, but in this case, I'd get the Tiki oil out and throw them away
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Some time ago one of our members had his pool vandalized with motor oil and brake oil. One of the suggestions for removal of the motor oil was pig mats. Depending on how much Tiki oil you have to clean up a bag of these might be worth it.

Best of success!
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

[EDIT] I corrected the link to the enzyme used to remove oil -- the one I had before is for small problems while the one I now link to is more concentrated and with enzymes more suited for larger spills. [END-EDIT]

Jason's idea of using enzymes (such as this one) is a good idea if the physical removal and slow chlorine breakdown of the oil doesn't work quickly enough. Anna, those pig mats are a great idea and one photo example on that web site shows them being used for soaking up something on the surface of a liquid in a tank.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Try Pool First Aid. It's a more concentrated version of Pool Perfect and works great on oils IMO. This would probably be the easiest way to go.
    John

16 X 32 X 5.5 Indoor Vinyl
    Hayward S220T Sand w/ 1 HP Superpump
    Auto Brominator
    Dual Solar/Oil fired heat exchangers

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I recently had a customer accidentally put in 10 gallons of diesel fuel, that he accidentally stored in refillable carboy containers, so I understand where this is coming from. The customer had tried a few methods before coming in, but Pool Pizzaz or Pool Perfect, those organic enzymes were the solution he was looking for, and is probably the solution you are looking for. You are going to want to steer clear of the 'maintenance dose' and kick it up a notch to fizz out your problem.
    Hope that helps =]
    Manager of retail pool location in Ohio