Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My water is green not blue, how can I fix that?

1. Back To Top    #1

My water is green not blue, how can I fix that?

My water is green not blue, how can I fix that?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Is it a murky cloudy green or a clear transparent green? Can you post a full set of test numbers?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    How long have you had the water? Is it a new refill? Or has this suddenly developed?
    If it is new, have you added any chemicals to it?
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Abe,

Pool water is green because of algae. I know of no other cause. (well, green food coloring but I doubt you used that )

As Jason said, we can help a lot more with a full set of test results but you've got algae and chlorine (lot's of it) is the cure.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Or it could be staining due to metals - blue plus yellow(stain) will make green
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

For some reason, many owners have said that their newly plastered pools have green tint for the first few days.

Mine was the same way, eventually turning seriously cloudy blue, due to heavy brushing of blue plaster and no pump/filter running.

(As I type, there's someone outside plumbing my pump/filter.)

So IF your pool is plaster and brand new, give it a few days before you start not liking the color.

Good luck,

Steve
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Our water here is green now as soon as you fill the pool, even vinyl, and after you shock it, the green goes away as the chlorine wears off. That is because our water is being treated with chloramines at the water treatment plant. It's a process with amonia and chlorine. It's like the water comes with CC sort of.

I believe it is what has caused my problem with Iron in the water, chloramines tend to leech metals from pipes from what I have been reading. If leech is the right word.

And whenever my metal sesquesterant wears out, after I add chlorine, I get a green tint until I get the next dose put in.

Also never rule out green food coloring if you have kids around........
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC