Underway on large pool project... w/ pics

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
Folks... Good afternoon :) so after a fall of planning (and some work) things are finally coming together. Obviously being in Iowa my pool is on hold until march/april but Im lining up other things as we progress here.
I created an album to track the movement of the project.
I also created a video last fall (and did the modeling as well) to show what the eventual goal will be. That is here. LaBarre Pool Project Stone Bar Update - YouTube

So the project is multi phased and multi-dimensional.
1. Deck (we wanted to add a covered area over the lounging area where couches, fireplace etc will be. Ended up doing a 23*16 deck instead of a roofline. Eventually there will be a spiral staircase down from the deck to the lounge area below (upstairs there will be a door off out master to the deck).

2. Hot tub. This is already installed. Ended up getting a Dr Wellness LG12 hot tub. Love it love it love it. Its not yet in its final resting place, but its close.

3. Stone wall/bar. The stone wall that used to run the length of the patio has been removed (partially) because it didnt fit with my ideas. Instead the existing wall will be raised 6" per foot up to a 42" or so bar top. ON top of that will be granite. So a nice curved bar, butting in to the northern most post of the deck.

4. Electrical. Had to have a new meter run, I was maxed on my other 200amp circuit, so that sucked. The panel has been set, sub panel run, etc (to run the hot tub now) and the rough in for the deck lights, fan, etc is done.

5. Screens - all five sections of the deck will have individual powered screens (phantom) that can be raised and lowered at will. I want to be able to lower 4 sections, leaving the middle open for access.. I think this will be amazing when done. Ungodly expensive, but amazing.

6. Pool room - Under the deck there is now a window (guest room) that will be removed, and a sliding glass door installed. In that room we will tile it and make built ins with storage, ice maker, fridge etc. That rooms tile will go across the hall for access to a guest bath. I figured this would be a pretty cost effective way to eliminate the need for a pool house outside.

7. Pool - a Thursday Pools 40' wellspring pool going in in late march or early april. Still up in the air on the 4 deck jets because without the automation , they wont get used. The automation piece plus jets seems like a huge waste of money. I will be using Pentair products, intellichlor SWG40 (rated for over 3x my volume), Heater/Chiller, Cartridge Filter etc.

8. Landscaping - trees along the entire south side of the fence, and half of the east. Pavers and rock gardens throughout the area (seen in video). I plan to use garden spot smart lighting SYLVANIA LIGHTIFY ZigBee Outdoor Light Gardenspot Starter Kit, 9 Color Changing and Dimmable LED Spots, Works with SmartThings, Wink, and Amazon Echo Plus, Hub Needed for Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant - - Amazon.com throughout the landscaping to provide scripted smart lighting that can be controlled with voice (google). Blink XT cameras all around for security. I also plan to have 2 garden hose boxes The Waterbox - Green: RG522G | RR Products, Inc. - Commercial Golf and Turf Industry Replacement Parts and Accessories installed as well, so I can have access to water thats hidden away when not in use.

9. Concrete decking throughout. Obviously around the pool and up to the house under the deck.

10. Stone wall under deck - for a large TV and fireplace.

here is a link to the work thats already been done. Its coming along nicely and very much according to the modeling ive done.
Pool Project - Google Photos

Im at the point where I am working on final details. I want to make sure I think of everything. Ive spent enough time on this that I feel like I have, but an extra few hundred sets of eyes cant hurt.
So id love some suggestions on what I might be missing in my plans.
I think the first thing that will come up is storage . I plan to put all my pool equipment under my old deck (where the video starts), and use a lot of the remaining space for storage.

Any other thoughts that come to mind?

thank you friends.

Sounds ideal!

My only concern is the water features. A few folks have found that they are actually a tad too noisy to be able to chat quietly nearby. Posters here have said they don't use them all that often because of that.
And how that center fountain is going to be run, I dunno??

I think your conversion of the guest room is quite lux... will it still be a guest room too? I've seen custom Murphy beds surrounded by book cases that would be pretty neat in the space. Dual purpose room!

Have you planned for drainage from the deck down below? So one can sit below during a rain storm and not get drenched?

Please keep us in the loop as your build goes...... pleeeeeeze!??!?

Maddie :flower:

Sounds ideal!

My only concern is the water features. A few folks have found that they are actually a tad too noisy to be able to chat quietly nearby. Posters here have said they don't use them all that often because of that.
And how that center fountain is going to be run, I dunno??

I think your conversion of the guest room is quite lux... will it still be a guest room too? I've seen custom Murphy beds surrounded by book cases that would be pretty neat in the space. Dual purpose room!

Have you planned for drainage from the deck down below? So one can sit below during a rain storm and not get drenched?

Please keep us in the loop as your build goes...... pleeeeeeze!??!?

Maddie :flower:

I will certainly be making updates here :)...
SO the water features are just a waste of money here, so I think I’ll forgot them. not for noise, just overall price.
Middle fountain was added for aesthetics :) it wont be there in the final design haha.. busted.
It wont be a guest room, or at least that wasn’t the intention. I don’t think those built ins (given they will house fridge, ice maker, 110v dryer (to dry suits and towels). There wont be the room in it for a bed, but love the idea. May think on that.
so the deck has full water mitigation system built in. All the water runs down to a gutter that’s sloped to one end.. under the deck is completely dry (except when heavy winds may blow things).

What was used for that wood decking? Nice looking stuff! Did you consider when installing that deck about water falling through? There are semi water proofing options today.

yeah as I mentioned in the last post, its fully water proofed.. There is no water going through those deck boards... It’s a full rain escape system.
The decking is timbertech brand, tigerwood is the color/pattern.

edit: haven’t been able to find the right option for tiling our pool room. I had just wanted to use our existing slat that we have in the existing bar area in the basement. Wife wanted something a little brighter. I think we found our tile.
Not cheap, but cant do a project like this and try to skimp to save $500. https://tilebar.com/brazilian-tiger...eSZHmBAvnKWHQPyW1FAMlssU3vMqT2_gaArwBEALw_wcB

You remember working on this build way back when!! I love how it is going! LOVE the decking on the deck. Tell us more how they did/do it to make it so waterproof.

That water bib system is so awesome!!! Then those lights.............wowzer!! You are going to have some neat goodies!!!

I also want to hear more about this screen system!!

SO much new, neat stuff for me to learn about!!!

Wife in for the win on the tile in the pool room! That is some pretty stuff!!

Storage/equipment-let us see that area when you are ready to start working that area. I have some neat ideas.

Kim:kim:

You remember working on this build way back when!! I love how it is going! LOVE the decking on the deck. Tell us more how they did/do it to make it so waterproof.

That water bib system is so awesome!!! Then those lights.............wowzer!! You are going to have some neat goodies!!!

I also want to hear more about this screen system!!

SO much new, neat stuff for me to learn about!!!

Wife in for the win on the tile in the pool room! That is some pretty stuff!!

Storage/equipment-let us see that area when you are ready to start working that area. I have some neat ideas.

So the rain escape is fairly simple... Its a rubber membrane that goes under each joist and forms a valley. It gradually gets lower and lower forcing the water to to the end (away from the house). At the end it has a little downspout that drops the water in to a gutter.. that gutter is lowered to a downspout at the end of the deck (one side). Easy peasy

The screen system is by phantom screens.. Essentially they put a rail on both sides and the screen at the top. You hit the remote and the screen slides down inside the rails until it gets to the bottom.

going to look at a few tile stores tomorrow, if not , going to order the blue tiger stuff... It’s pricey but not that bad.

For storage, I :”should” have them dig it out so the area is completely flat which would make it much easier, but its a lot of dirt I’d have to excavate.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haha, well, it started out as a pool for 80k roughly, and has since basically doubled with all the work i want. We shall see what all gets done

EDIT : question... I can see the IC40 for sale on sites for $620 My PB is charging me $1500 for the upgrade. Now I understand there is some additional plumbing etc, but does that seem reasonable? I dont want to bark up the wrong tree and upset someone over something that I don't know anything about.

This is one way your PB makes money. He up-charges to add to his bottom line. That is quite a up-charge there. I would be tempted to print out your find and have a talk with him about it BUT be aware he may make that money up somewhere else in the build.

Tile already shipped... Had 2 guys over for a quote today.. waiting on the numbers to tile. Not sure what to expect... its 241sq foot of flooring (bare concrete, as I’m clearing it for them) bedroom, closet, partial hall and bathroom.
What should I expect? 2k? 3k? Anything more than that and I may do it myself.

I have no idea how much it should cost. I think it was $200 for my small hallway. I did as you did and removed the old stuff and cleaned it all up so all they had to do was put it down. That saved me a bundle!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.