Noblesville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
My mother-in-law wants to buy us a SWG for Christmas, she had her pool service company quote and they're recommending an AutoPilot DIG220 Controller with a PPC3 cell. I did a search on TFP and all the top threads I saw seemed to be problems with it.

I had been planning to get a CircuPool RJ-60+ at some point, which I've seen good reviews for. I've also seen good reviews for the CompuPool, but also found some stuff that indicated it was discontinued.

I found this site (Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features) and here's my interpretation:

• AutoPilot PPC3 - 75 rating, but only $399 for replacement cells
  • CircuPool RJ60 - 99.8 rating, $559 for replacement cells, but cells last longer than the AutoPilot (hence the better rating)
  • CompuPool CPX/CPSC48 - 63.2 rating, $389 cells, but discontinued
  • Pentair IC-60 - 46.1 rating and super expensive ($854) replacement cells
  • Hayward - only goes to 40K

I hate to question her pool company and generous offer, but the quote was over $2K with install ($1600 for the SWG itself) and didn't include salt (their cost would be about $300 more with salt). I can get the RJ-60+ new on eBay for $1100 or elsewhere for under $1400, won't have any issues installing it myself, and can get the salt at Lowe's for under $150. Basically, about $1000 cheaper for an SWG that has a better rating.

Thoughts? Any comments on the AutoPilot? Is the CircuPool (or others) worth challenging my mother-in-law?

ra,

Autopilot is one of the leading SWCG makers and for the most part you do not hear much about them because they seem to work well.. At the same time, they are not one of the "big three' so there are not as many of them out there.

CircuPool SWGS are made to be user installed, and we have some pretty good feedback as to them also working well..

I would not be afraid to install either one. But personally would go with the one I could install for the least amount of money..

Tell your MIL that you will buy the SWCG and if she is so keen to spend the big bucks, she should buy you a VS pump, which is almost mandatory if you have a SWCG. The bigger the pool, the longer the pump will have to run to generate the chlorine you need. Although, with an auto-cover, your chlorine demand will be less than most 40K gallon pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'll say the AutoPilot is the "Cadillac" of SWG systems as it is the costliest upfront, has the most features of all SWG's, and for the most part are very reliable. Those ratings that you are going by mean absolutely nothing to me as they are just a bunch of you know what I can't say on this friendly forum.

All in all, Jim does give some sound advice, but you do only have a 1HP pump so I'm not sure I would even spend the money on a VS pump at this time.

I have have installed 3 circupool systems and all 3 are working perfect... For the price and warranty there really is no better system... They are offering the 1 dollar upgrade to the next sized model right now.. Discount salt pool is a great company to deal with and will help after the sale, they walked my electrician in changing the voltage and connecting it up to my automation and stayed on the phone until it worked..

I always recommend the SJ model, it is there basic no frills model and therefore works easily and has less things to go wrong... CircuPool SJ-40 Saltwater Chlorinator for up to 40000 gallon salt water pools
SJ55
Chlorine Output:
2.3 lbs/day
Manufacturer Warranty:
5 Years Limited*
Manufacturer Rated Lifespan:
10500 hours
Manufacturer Max Capacity:
55000 gallons

If you want or need all the bells and whistles, the RJ has it all, has a better warranty and has the bigger sizes.. CircuPool RJ-45 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator for up to 45000 gallon salt water pools
RJ60 +
Chlorine Output:
3.1 lbs/day
Manufacturer Warranty:
7 Years Limited*
Manufacturer Rated Lifespan:
15000 hours
Manufacturer Max Capacity:
60000 gallons

Nothing against other models, just watch the warranties, most will have 1 to 3 year warranty as long as a certified company installs, if you install most will be 30 days or less..

Casey,

What I don't like about the SJ models is that, according to their documentation, you need to maintain a salt level of 3500 ppm or more..

The RJ models have a range of 2800 to 4500...

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are a few things that I don't care for with the SJ units, Higher salt, higher flow rate required, 25% salinity adjustments, no troubleshooting codes, lifespan of cell is 2/3rds of the RJ. Those are a few of the biggest reasons I would never get an SJ over a RJ system. To me, the cost difference is well worth it to get the RJ.

Jim, Ping, Those are all great points that I have not followed for 4 years :) I know it says that in the documentation but I have treated mine exactly like an RJ and have had no issues..

As for the 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% run levels I really do not see needing any more than those.. I only use 50% in the spring and fall and 75% in the summer and I always run my pump on low speed.. I guess I have always used time as the factor to get the correct FC level running between 4 and 8 hours a day...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.