Urbandale/IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, been lurking for over 2 years dreaming of a pool in our back yard working on a DYI vinyl in ground. We are going to do a 18x36 sports bottom pool with an auto cover.

Not sure what you need for info to help me in this project, but feel free to ask.
Pool Warehouse
Hayward Super Pump VS
Hayward 2" Cartridge Filter
4 returns/2skimmers
Hayward Omnilogic
40K Salt system
2 Color Logic LED lights
Hayward Heat Pro 140k heat pump

I have all sub contractors identified but someone to do the pool create.

I would like some advice on my design, equipment, and plumbing design help.

Swimming Pool Project - Google Drive

Logan Pool3.jpg

Looks like a fun project! A lot of deck space is great. I might suggest that consolidating some of your deck space might make it even more usable. Perhaps taking 5' from the water feature wall side and adding it to the house side. Then you can have chaise lounges perpendicular to the pool and still have 6' of walking past space. That is what we have and it's great. The space on the right is where, I presume, you will want a table and chairs, so the house side might be good for lounging.

Also consider how you will get/use shade by the pool. Will you have any type of a shade structure or will you rely on umbrellas. They work and are flexible, but don't cover big spaces, which is important because shade moves a lot during the course of a party.

I love autocovers and am glad you are planning one with your rectangular pool. Water features are nice, but depending on your view out into your yard, you can save money by having great landscaping be your centerpiece (very personal there though). Water features will probably be running less than most people initially think because of the effect they have on pH rise due to the water turbulence created.

On the autocover, you will lose a lot of water over the cover side wall since it's lowered. Just a fact of life. Certainly doesn't outweigh the pros. I just didn't think about that beforehand. The higher the water level, the quicker you will lose it to the wave action. On the plus side, your pool will never overflow (over the coping).

Great filter size. You will only need to clean it at the end of the season. Using hair nets will also ensure that.

I agree with b's idea to have more decking on the house side. It will make it more useful overall. You do need some on the back side to walk around the pool to brush the pool and such but the house side will be used the most.

Kim:kim:

Well that is quite a slope you have there.....how will you address that? It sure is a pretty yard though! LOVE what you did the the patio and wall. Very classy looking!

Thanks Kim, the slope is not too bad and we will level it before digging. The ground is pretty high and I am not to concerned about drainage, but I am thinking of putting in drain tile in to be safe. Does that go above or below the concrete collar?

The pool builders all are using Pentair and I will be using Hayward. Anyone see concerns with equipment from Hayward?

Pool Pumps - Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed
Pool Filter - Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge Filter 2" Model C4030
Controlled 40k Salt SystemHayward OmniLogic Cat5 Smart Phone
Hayward Heat-Pro Electric Heat Pump 140k btu

For SWG we say to go for twice the size for your pool. This helps with the power bills and cell life in the long run.

Pump-make sure to get the model number.

All of the equipment, except the heater, needs to be from the same brand so it can all talk to each other.

Thanks Kim, the slope is not too bad and we will level it before digging. The ground is pretty high and I am not to concerned about drainage, but I am thinking of putting in drain tile in to be safe. Does that go above or below the concrete collar?

The pool builders all are using Pentair and I will be using Hayward. Anyone see concerns with equipment from Hayward?

Pool Pumps - Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed
Pool Filter - Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge Filter 2" Model C4030
Controlled 40k Salt SystemHayward OmniLogic Cat5 Smart Phone
Hayward Heat-Pro Electric Heat Pump 140k btu

Their variable speed pumps do not last long. Speaking from experience here. We replace quite a few a year.

Their variable speed pumps do not last long. Speaking from experience here. We replace quite a few a year.

This is interesting, and although I'm not disputing your experience (it is what is), your experience has not been corroborated here in any appreciable way that I've ever heard discussed.

Other folks are more equipment oriented than I so we'll see if others have any follow-up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You kind of lost me. I was basically saying we don’t hear large amounts of bad things about them that he is experiencing.

So is your Hayward VS experience at a significantly higher rate (not quantity) than Pentair or Jandy?

You kind of lost me. I was basically saying we don’t hear large amounts of bad things about them that he is experiencing.

So is your Hayward VS experience at a significantly higher rate (not quantity) than Pentair or Jandy?

For me, yes.

Do a forum search Hayward ecostar drive error.

I looked to be certain and we changed out 16 of them this year. All for Pentair 011056.

Ours is at the pad but our pad is very close to the pool.

Decided to go with Pentair instead of Hayward with everything except the heater. I felt I found good prices at Ploytech and saved some money. Thanks for everyone's input.
Pentair IntelliFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump (011018)
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 420 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter (160301)
2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light (601002)
Pentair EasyTouch 4 System Pool or Spa w/IC40 Cell (520593)
Pentair ScreenLogic2 Connection and Wireless Kit (522104)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.