Blood Red Chloroine Test

Jul 9, 2018
Davenport, FL
Hi all this is more of a curiosity type question...

I have been working on the hot tub and getting it ready to go and elected to use my left over 3in pucks in it because I had them, and if/when there is CYA build up it’s easy to drain and fill, and have to do that every couple months anyways.

So, didn’t think about that the rapidly moving water along with the heat would make a tablet dissolve faster in a floating feeder. Long story short, a majority of the tablet was gone in a day or two in a 170gal tub.

Jump to test time, break out my Taylor test kit, fill with water and drop some powder in it and it instantly turned deep dark red. I aborted the test, I’m pretty sure I didn’t have enough reagents to balance that out.

So the million dollar question, has anyone seen that color before? Is there a estimated PPM range that it would’ve been at? Is it in the 100s?

I’ve already fixed the issue, swapped some water and let the sun do it’s thing with the cover off.. just curious what kinds of levels we were talking about.

There are many warnings here about not using Trichlor in a hot tub for the reasons you experienced. Wise to test before getting into that chemical soup. You can use pool math to calculate the FC level based on the water volume and dissolved Trichlor.

Let's not forget that this amount of trichlor also crashed the pH. That highly chlorinated water is also quite acidic, a bad combination for any metals in the tub such as a heating coil.

Your CYA also jumped to nearly 200, so the sun is not just going to make that FC disappear in a single day. Dump all of it and start over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.