Cleaner / Pump Help?

May 28, 2008
Houston, TX
Hello,
I have been experiencing an issue with my cleaner not working for the past month. I noticed that the pool is getting dirty so realized
one day that they pool cleaner does not move. I had my home warranty company look at it as I thought the cleaner pump was losing
pressure. The guy said that pressure was fine and my gears were probably stripped.

Ok, took cleaner apart and nothing, gears are not stripped and everything looks good. Tried cleaner again and it just does not move,
or occasionally will move very slow then stop cause cannot climb wall.

Here is what I noticed when my cleaner pump now comes on:

During normal operation, my pool pump will provide overflow from our spa to the pool as a waterfall feature, this has always been the case since
beginning. Also during normal operation, pool pump will shoot water out of bubbler on tanning shelf about 6-7".

**When the cleaner pump turns on, I noticed that the bubbler only comes out the water about 1-2", not like in normal use. Also, after
about 1 minute, the water will no longer spill out of the spa to the pool so no more water feature.

Obviously, the cleaner pump coming on is causing less pressure to the pool pump but I have no idea why? Before I call a tech company, hoping
the forum can provide some advice and maybe a fix that I can do or try first.

Thanks,
Shawn

Polaris 280 manual is here —> https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/polaris280-manual.pdf

You should have a Polaris booster pump that runs when your 280 is on. That picks off water from your pool return and is why your bubbler and spa don’t get as much water. You only have so much water to distribute within your pool. You should not be running your bubbler when you are running your cleaner.

The Polaris cleaners get corrosion and friction in their bearings that slow them down. Replacing parts using the rebuild kit gets them working like new for less then half the cost. Amazon.com : Zodiac A48 Factory Rebuild Replacement Kit : Lawn And Garden Tool Replacement Parts : Garden Outdoor

Factory Rebuild Kit for Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

Thanks Allen,
I will look into these options to see if that helps. Also, the bubbler does not run on a separate pump, it is part of the normal pool operation and runs with the main pool pump while it is running and same for the spa,
that is all normal operation. In 9 years of having this pool, it never used to do that when the cleaner pump comes on, I never saw any pressure loss like that until now.

Thanks for advice.

Shawn

Check your filter pressure. When did you last clean your filter?

Check the filter in the UWF.

Check your pump baskets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.