Removing salt cell after closing

DonMc

Nov 20, 2018
VIRGINIA BEACH
Hello, first post, looking for advice. We're in our second closing after buying a house with an in-house ground salt pool, used a different company this year, and noticed something different.

Last year they removed our salt cell when they closed, leaving the pipes open. This time around the cell was left in place. We're in the Hampton Roads, VA area.

I've read some recommend removing the cell due to freezing and thawing and I'm ok with that, but my #1 question is can I do this after they've closed the pool and winterized the lines without creating an issue?

Thanks!

They should have evacuated the surface lines of all water so you should have no issue removing the SWCG. Do put something over the lines (plastic bag with a zip tie) so no critters can climb in to them.

They should have evacuated the surface lines of all water so you should have no issue removing the SWCG. Do put something over the lines (plastic bag with a zip tie) so no critters can climb in to them.

That’s exactly what I do.

I also live in Hampton Roads, and while our winter temps are usually fairly mild, we can get some good freezes (last Jan was bad!) so I don’t want risk any damage to the SWCG cell.

I had to get a strap wrench and channellock oil filter/PVC wrench to get the union loose (maybe why they left it on), but got it out and ty-wrapped some zip lock bags over the pipes to keep out the critters.

Yeah, I thought my safety cover (that was our first winter in this house) was toast after seeing it stretched so far down, was amazed at it's resiliency! Then we had low water at opening, leaky pool light and skimmer gasket, perhaps the weather played a role.

Anyways, thanks to you both!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.