Nearing Remodel - Use Filter Glass in Old Sand Filter?

May 30, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Good Morning - I'm nearing my pool remodel. I'm keeping my Triton TR-60 Sand Pool Filter. I just replaced the laterals, covered with pea gravel and replaced the sand about three years ago. Since there is nothing physically wrong with the filter, I've elected to keep the current filter. I'm responsible for emptying and removing it for the remodel. The Pool Builder/Remodeler is tearing out my pad, re-plumbing, adding a new pump and putting everything back together.

My question is - Should I elect to use Filter Glass Media when I replace my filter media? I've read nothing but pros. I live in a 1950's neighborhood which is like a forest. Every leaf and particle of pollen hits my pool each fall and spring. I've always liked my sand filter for the ease of use and backwashing. I'm looking for input to determine whether it's worth the upfront cost to change over to Filter Glass? If I decide to go with glass, use bed of pea gravel ( I can use the gravel I have after washing it) or use course glass to cover laterals and finer on top? If I go with glass, I'll probably replace my laterals again just so I don't have to worry about my filter for years to come.

Thoughts from those that use glass in their sand filters?

Thanks!

My question is - Should I elect to use Filter Glass Media when I replace my filter media? I've read nothing but pros.
I'm going to guess that the majority of the "pros" you have read are on websites that sell other media types. We do have folks who show up, post once or twice at how other filter media are so much better than sand and then disappear. Folks who post here year after year are very happy with just using pool sand.

My sand filter has nothing but pool sand with no issues.

I think if you read around here you will find that there is no advantage to using the "special" sand filter media. The specialty filtration media are very good at filtering money out of your pocket, but I've seen nothing that proves they are any better than sand at filtering the pool.

If anything, understanding the method of deep cleaning the sand filter may be advantageous, but I don't see a need for doing it more than every couple of years. When I purchased my house with a asand filter I opened it to do a deep clean and found the sand pristine. THIS THREAD will explain a sand filter and how to "deep clean" it.

Thanks for your response Tim. I'd pretty much decided I was going to replace with sand. I just wanted to see if anyone using glass would respond. I've been happy with it. I've done a ton of research and it doesn't seem like it's worth the upfront expense. I have had water issues in the past, but that's nature and my fault. I mean I get a ton of organic matter in fall and spring. Leaves in fall and cottonwood (next door neighbor)and pecan pollen (mine). Polaris can't keep up. I eventually throw my hands up and let it all settle and get out at one time. I'm adding a cover after remodel. I'm also reading up on all info in Pool School to do a better job of keeping my chemistry more on point with the newly remodeled pool once done. Thanks for the reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.