Brand new here! Chlorinator question

Apr 27, 2018
Houston, Texas
Hi! We just filled our pool and the pool builder came today to start it up. It just occurred to me as I was making my signature that we have an inline chlorinator, but we won't be using it, if we're following TFP methods, right? I read on another thread that someone just uses it when they go on vacation. We've never had a pool before so all of this is new to me. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit and I'm looking forward to learning how to have a Trouble Free Pool! :D

Hi! We just filled our pool and the pool builder came today to start it up. It just occurred to me as I was making my signature that we have an inline chlorinator, but we won't be using it, if we're following TFP methods, right? I read on another thread that someone just uses it when they go on vacation. We've never had a pool before so all of this is new to me. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit and I'm looking forward to learning how to have a Trouble Free Pool! :D

Welcome to TFP!
I managed commercial pools before I owned a home with a pool, and most of the commercial/apartment pools had to have in-line dispensers for health department regulations. I thought they were handy, but a general TFP recommendation is to avoid them for regular usage. They’ll be handy for vacations, but otherwise as a dedicated way of delivering chlorine it’s not advised as tablets contain stabilizer (dichlor or tri-chlor) and it doesn’t allow you to more effectively manage your chem levels and FC-free chlorine. TFP Pool School is advised.

As your TF100 will guide you, CYA (cyanuric acid) is the amount of stabilizer in your water and sole use of tablets puts in cya and chlorine and too much CYA decreases the effectiveness of the chlorine=green pool! You don’t want to get a high CYA as it’s hard to bring it down, where it’s easier to adjust chlorine. You’ll need stabilizer, just not the steady flow from a tablet dispenser.

I only use a floating tablet dispenser on occasion and manage my chlorine using liquid chlorine/bleach.

Keep it, and just use the dispenser as needed, just not as your sole way of administration of disinfectant.

Start your education with reading "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Ask questions about the content.

Next, when your TF-100 gets in, perform all the tests and post your results in this thread.....everyone will help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.