Closing pool for extended period

Aug 20, 2017
Deatsville, AL
I am wondering if it's possible to close a pool for six months? I would drain it down, winterize and cover it but I'd like some input from more experienced individuals. I was planning on turning off the water and power to my house while i'm gone, but after reading a couple of things on the internet, it seems like I'll need to keep the pump running while i'm gone.

I am wondering if it's possible to close a pool for six months? I would drain it down, winterize and cover it but I'd like some input from more experienced individuals. I was planning on turning off the water and power to my house while i'm gone,

That's the right idea. Turn off and drain the equipment and lower the water level. Whenever you return fill with water, turn on equipment, and maybe SLAM Process the pool.

Would it be prudent to add a lot of bleach before hand? It'll sit stagnant, so i'm not sure if that would do more harm than good

Can't hurt to bring FC up but not sure it will help prevent algae. Even with a cover the CL will be lost in a while (not sure if it is a few weeks or a few months). Rain runoff may wash algae into your water over the months it is closed. I would save the bleach for when you open the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.