TFTestkits Glycerin Pressure Gauge

David0408

Oct 16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I bought a new gauge this summer and it has worked great. This morning it was reading 10 psi with the pump off. With it on its maxed out at 30. I tried to take out the plug to see if it would equalize but nothing happened. Is the gauge done? Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm betting that's a back mount gauge and you've had some freezing temps. Those are good gauges, but only the case is glycerin filled, The bourdon tube is not filled, so it's subject to getting water in it. Freezing of that water will warp the tube. That's a very common problem with back mounted gauges, because there's no way for the water to get out of the gauge sort of removing it and turning the threaded nipple down for a while, or putting it under a slight vacuum.

I’ll call Rebecca tomorrow. Thank guys for all the help.
My gauge is a bottom mount but I have it installed horizontally so it would be prone to the same issues as a center mount I guess. It did freeze the night before. In addition, a few days before I let the skimmer get jammed packed full of debris before I remembered to empty it. Maybe the additional pressure from that in conjunction with the freeze...? I don’t know. I really like the gauge and would have no problem purchasing another one in hopes of it lasting a couple of years. I love TFTestkits as well!

You are correct, even a bottom mount gauge mounted horizontally will collect water in the bourdon tube.

I use a street elbow so the gauge is mounted vertically.

Given the distance to the bottom of the bourdon tube socket and the fact that there's an air bubble from the top of the elbow up into the bourdon tube it helps prevent any freeze damage. And the gauge will drain completely when draining the filter if it does have any water in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.