TF-100 Test Kit Arrived

geneargyle

Gold Supporter
Oct 9, 2018
Argyle Texas
Almost finished with building my pool and should be getting plaster any day now and equipment startup. The PB will be taking care of all of that and the chemicals but I decided to order the kit and get familiar with testing so that I can eventually take over the care on my own.

Great shipping speed and service on the kit. Got the kit before water in the pool. I will say that it is all a little intimidating but I will get it all figured out! Look forward to working with you guys on it and to finally get this pool finished.

IMG-6614.jpg

Got the kit before water in the pool.
That's the way to do it! :goodjob: Hindsight 20-20, I wish I would've done the same back when I started. You'll be glad you got it now. Practice with the kit AND using the PoolMath tool. Let us know if you have any questions. And THANK YOU for being a TFP supporter. :)

Nice spread.

Practice on your fill water. Test the FC, pH, TA, and CH. Right it down and keep it in a safe place. Or input it into the Pool Math app to save it.

That's the way to do it! :goodjob: Hindsight 20-20, I wish I would've done the same back when I started. You'll be glad you got it now. Practice with the kit AND using the PoolMath tool. Let us know if you have any questions. And THANK YOU for being a TFP supporter. :)

Thank you for your support. I just want to get into it and see what happens before I takeover the maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice spread.

Practice on your fill water. Test the FC, pH, TA, and CH. Right it down and keep it in a safe place. Or input it into the Pool Math app to save it.

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure if testing the fill water would really be good or not. Maybe I will give it a try this weekend. I did get the Pool Math app so when I start inputting things it is all saved.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you getting automation?

Well, I'm not 100% sure what you mean there. Can you elaborate?

+1 what Texas Splash said. The kit may be the best money you spend on your pool.

Practicing on your fill water is a great idea. At some point, you will need that info, anyway.

Like it says on the kit, tech support (all of us!) is available 24/7.

The iaqualink is an interface. It's not the automation.

I would suggest the PureLink Sub-Panel Power Center for Automation and Salt Water Chlorination, which gives you a subpanel and the SWG power supply in one box.

Then, you select the system board. For a pool only (no spa) with 8 relays, you would choose the RS-P8.

You might not need 8 relays, but they are nice to have.

For example, you might want to put the lights on separate relays if you only want to use one or two lights sometimes instead of all 3 all the time.

You can use a RS-P4 For 4 relays or a RS-P6 for 6 relays.

One relay is always filter pump. The booster pump would need a relay if you want to keep that.

The lights need at least one relay.

The ledge light needs a relay.

The secondary pump can be put on a relay or not if it's variable speed.

The heat pump won't get a relay but it will need a big breaker for power.

Then, you need a cell. I would suggest the 1400 cell.

Maybe consider going with a robot instead of the Polaris 280 cleaner.

What is the secondary pump for?

For a water feature, you probably don't need a separate pump, you can just use the main pump return and a valve.

The iaqualink is an interface. It's not the automation.

I would suggest the PureLink Sub-Panel Power Center for Automation and Salt Water Chlorination, which gives you a subpanel and the SWG power supply in one box.

Then, you select the system board. For a pool only (no spa) with 8 relays, you would choose the RS-P8.

You might not need 8 relays, but they are nice to have.

For example, you might want to put the lights on separate relays if you only want to use one or two lights sometimes instead of all 3 all the time.

You can use a RS-P4 For 4 relays or a RS-P6 for 6 relays.

One relay is always filter pump. The booster pump would need a relay if you want to keep that.

The lights need at least one relay.

The ledge light needs a relay.

The secondary pump can be put on a relay or not if it's variable speed.

The heat pump won't get a relay but it will need a big breaker for power.

Then, you need a cell. I would suggest the 1400 cell.

Maybe consider going with a robot instead of the Polaris 280 cleaner.

What is the secondary pump for?

For a water feature, you probably don't need a separate pump, you can just use the main pump return and a valve.

Thank you for the information. I basically designed the pool with my PB and then went over some details and then we started building. I then started looking for resources online and found this site. So I let it up to the PB for the equipment. Which, so far he seems pretty great. Of course some things could be changed maybe but I didn't ask for model numbers or anything. They delivered the equipment last Thursday and I got the SQ120 for the heat pump and chiller and while it seems it is maybe enough for my pool I opted to have him swap it out for the SQ166 because I want to be sure in the summer in these Texas heats that it will chill enough as well.

With that said, along the way I did change some things. Like the day before they wired up the pool I asked about controlling the lights differently. So we decided on controlling the 3 main pool lights on 1 relay, the tanning ledge light on another and then another for the tanning ledge bubbler. There is also another that we've added for landscaping lighting.

Looking at photos I took when they delivered everything I got the RS-PS6.

I originally thought the secondary pump was for the Polaris 280 but yesterday they installed the equipment and brought another pump for that and it is the Polaris PB4SQ.

So he probably got the secondary pump for the water features. I will have to ask though. We have the bubbler, a larger corner seat with a waterfall feature and then waterfall feature coming out of the diving pedestal.

I have read mixed reviews on the pool cleaners. I was going to bail on the 280 but there are so many different reviews I decided that if I really wanted to I could just get a robot if I am not happy. So I have the option of both.

It looks like for the sub panel I got Jandy Purelink Aqualink RS 6614AP-L.

When we moved here a year ago we needed a home that was basically finished because we couldn't wait to build. There was a couple who were being transferred here who basically built the house but then when it came time to move the transfer didn't go through so the builder was trying to unload the home so we got an awesome deal. With that said they had already built a panel outside near the pool for pool equipment. I guess they were going to put a pool where we did, lol. At any rate they said that was enough for all of the equipment except for the heat pump and chiller. So we have to go through the garage, up through the second story and all the way over to the other side of the house to drop another line for the heat pump.

For the salt water generator we got the Fusion Soft Nature 2 1400 which I see some people don't like. But hey, it is installed so we shall see what happens.

You guys are very helpful here. We shall see how it goes soon.

Waiting for them to wire up the equipment and waiting for it to be warm enough in the next week or two weeks to plaster and startup.

Fusion Soft is a Salt Water Chlorinator System with Integrated Nature2 Mineral Sanitizer Technology.

The SWG part is good, but I would not use the mineral part because it fills the pool with metals like copper that will stain.

I would switch to the PLC1400 (AquaPure 3-Port Salt Water Chlorinator Cell), which is the same SWG cell without the minerals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fusion Soft is a Salt Water Chlorinator System with Integrated Nature2 Mineral Sanitizer Technology.

The SWG part is good, but I would not use the mineral part because it fills the pool with metals like copper that will stain.

I would switch to the PLC1400 (AquaPure 3-Port Salt Water Chlorinator Cell), which is the same SWG cell without the minerals.

From what I can tell there is a separate cartridge for the minerals. He does not appear to have that in the system.

Ok, since they used the Fusion, they probably intend to use the minerals otherwise they would have just used the PLC1400 cell.

Tell them that you don't want to use the minerals.

I would ask if they can replace the fusion with the regular cell.

One reminder,
I'm not sure why, TA readings will high couple of weeks. That is what I have been told when i purchased refills. My TA was 60 but new reagents had shown 90 :) so better do not do something for TA couple of week.

One reminder,
I'm not sure why, TA readings will high couple of weeks. That is what I have been told when i purchased refills. My TA was 60 but new reagents had shown 90 :) so better do not do something for TA couple of week.

Ok thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to let the PB handle things for right now. We get 3 free months with the pool. I will be monitoring it myself during this time though.

Be sure to fully review the Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. A description of what the previous poster mentioned is in the TA section.

Monitor things if you are allowing a pool service to manage your pool water. Test your fill water now so you can see if CH or TA will be a long term issue. Do not let them take the CYA above 70 ppm.

Be sure to fully review the Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. A description of what the previous poster mentioned is in the TA section.

Monitor things if you are allowing a pool service to manage your pool water. Test your fill water now so you can see if CH or TA will be a long term issue. Do not let them take the CYA above 70 ppm.

Thank you. It just finished filling up on Thanksgiving and it has been crazy since. Today I am going to get the first numbers and post here for assistance.

Attachments

• IMG-6750.jpg
    IMG-6750.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 42
Ok I did the tests. It took a while but it was my first time so hopefully things will go better in the future.

PH 7.8
FC 2.5
CC 0
CH 150
TA 70
CYA - unable to get a reading. Cloudy below 20 and as the tube got more full the dot disappeared more but just very slightly visible when full. (very cloudy).

CSI -0.34

Water temp - 61

Finished filling the water Thanksgiving day. PB added something in a pink jug but not sure what it was or how much.

While this is a saltwater system I obviously am not using or starting it yet.

I should also note the PB said it would be getting an "acid bath" at the beginning of the week. So should I mess with it right now?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Gene.

Those are very acceptable results. I would do nothing....except I would ask PB what he is putting in the pool and why.....Tell him you are trying to learn which is the truth.

Your CYA is less than 20, Soon you will want it to come up but don't do that without coordinating with the builder.....he may be adding also.

Those are very acceptable results. I would do nothing....except I would ask PB what he is putting in the pool and why.....Tell him you are trying to learn which is the truth.

Your CYA is less than 20, Soon you will want it to come up but don't do that without coordinating with the builder.....he may be adding also.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will talk with him and see what he is going to do and then check everything again when he is done. I will report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.