Recommendation on pool cover pump and target depth of water above cover

Jun 2, 2018
Grafton, MA
Morning Yall,

After several weeks of rain I am looking at 6"+ of water on top of my cover. While this is doing a great job to keep it down from blowing up with the heavy winds I want to make sure I don't let it get too high. I did not see any quick recommendations on the optimal depth and I also didn't see any recommendations on a pool cover pump.

Thanks in advance

YarrHokie

I use this Little Giant pump. I bought it new in 2012 and it's still going strong. It automatically switches on when water gets about 3" deep and turns off when it's down to about 1". Whatever you do, make sure to get an automatic pump, not a manual one.

Here is what I do. Not saying it is right or wrong, but it works for me.

Until all of the leaves have fallen from the trees, I do my best to keep NO water on the pool cover. This allows the wind to blow the leaves off. Sometimes my cover does look like a parachute, but I have never had any issues with it ripping.

I use my regular vacuum hose to drain the cover. I have a 2lb vinyl coated dumbell that I zip tie around the end of the hose - I had it handy, but any weight will do. I chuck it towards the center of the cover (near the pillow) and let it sink, creating its own well. I then use a bucket to fill the hose with water, and drop the end over the edge of the pool - starting a siphon. No need for a pump, it just sucks the water out.

Once the leaves are gone, i will keep the cover drained to a point that it does not cause my pool water under the cover to overflow. Once snow and ice start, all bets are off.

I say I attempt to do this, because mother nature does not always play nice. My pool was frozen last week, we had tons of rain over the weekend, my backyard is a muddy mess because of it, and my pool is filled to the rim and there are leaves in the water. Some years you just cant win.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.