Does Closing Your Own Pool Void Any Warranty?

Jul 1, 2018
St. Louis, MO
I just closed our pool after our first full season (pool installed September 2017). Thanks to all of the research I did here everything went mostly as planned! I did end up buying the Cyclone because my shop vac wasn't cutting it. What a difference between the Cyclone and the shop vac! No comparison and totally worth every cent!!

Anyway, one of the drain plugs on my pump broke off when I was trying to remove it. Who knew those things were made of plastic? It didn't really affect my closing. I used my shop vac to suck out any remaining water. Since the pump is only a year old I contacted the PB to see about having it replaced. They were more than happy to give me instructions on how to extract the broken bolt and sell me a new plug because, "we keep plenty of those in stock". I asked why it wasn't covered under warranty and was told I was past my one year mark. Which is wrong because I should have qualified for the 3 year Total Hayward Warranty. I'm still looking into this portion of the story...more to come on that.

Then, the PB told me I voided all my warranties because I closed the pool myself! And that it was in the contract I signed, blah, blah, blah. I pushed back gave him an earful and he finally agreed to send someone out today (11/06/18) to remove the broken plug and provide a new one. My question is, has anyone ever faced this problem or heard of warranties being voided because we choose to take care of our own pools?

By the way, I looked through all of the paperwork from during our build last year. Nowhere could I find anything that said any maintenance had to be completed by a professional. Not in the original contract, scope of work, or change orders.

My question is, has anyone ever faced this problem or heard of warranties being voided because we choose to take care of our own pools?
At times .....yes. And hey.... welcome to the forum! :wave: As a fellow FB owner, the other classic example ... water testing. We know that proper at-home water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is accurate & reliable. Yet the Viking/Latham warranty departments will ask for pool store testing to honor any shell issues. In some ways, as a company owner, I understand they must have a way to protect themselves from the causal pool owner who says, "My water levels are fine." Yeah, right. :blah: In many cases we know better. But it penalizes the good pool owner as well.

But yes, their contracts are designed to protect their interests first & foremost. Hopefully your installer will take care of you. If not, you might contact Hayward directly. Keep in mind there could be a difference between the installer's warranty and the manufacture's warranty for some items.

Nice to have you with us.

Anyway, one of the drain plugs on my pump broke off when I was trying to remove it.

This is the strangest thing. I have heard many times about stripped threads and plugs, but not broken. Maybe it was over tightened (not sure). You can order one online as a replacement. When I take mine out, I use a screwdriver and then my hand once it becomes loose. Then I hand tighten only and give a 1/2 turn with the screw driver.

I asked why it wasn't covered under warranty and was told I was past my one year mark. Which is wrong because I should have qualified for the 3 year Total Hayward Warranty. I'm still looking into this portion of the story...more to come on that.

Hayward only provides a 1 year warranty on the motor and a 10 year warranty on the housing. Contact them directly and hopefully they will help you out. Sometimes they send you free stuff, and sometimes they do not.

Your builder may have provided you a separate warranty, but under the conditions written in the contract.

My question is, has anyone ever faced this problem or heard of warranties being voided because we choose to take care of our own pools?

Yes, it is very possible that your contract is written this way. If the contract states nothing, then in the event of a problem, everything is up to interpretation of the law. My PB (after I paid for the first closing) in the second year stated that if they close the pool and something happens underground they are responsible for it. There was never a contract provided or any specifics. I doubt they would honor any type of verbal claim, or written for that matter.

What exactly is not covered by contract and under warranty? If your plumbing was done properly, the probability of anything going wrong is very low. Things do happen, but it is rare. The shell (fiberglass, gunite, galvanized steel, liners), etc. is where we see most of the problems.

Can you please be specific what type of warranties you have?

I read my contract and there are very few warranties, if any. Even the structure that is guaranteed for 50 years could be disputed by a PB is they claim you never took care of pool chemistry. Who brings their water to the pool store for testing? Not anyone with a Taylor test kit or the TF-100.

Update: The PB did NOT show up yesterday (11-06-2018) like they said. I still have a broken drain plug.

This is the strangest thing. I have heard many times about stripped threads and plugs, but not broken. Maybe it was over tightened (not sure). You can order one online as a replacement. When I take mine out, I use a screwdriver and then my hand once it becomes loose. Then I hand tighten only and give a 1/2 turn with the screw driver.

Not sure? The pool was opened (and 1st closing) by the PB. It's possible they cranked it down during the opening. Both plugs were on there too tight to remove by hand so I used a 9/16 socket to loosen enough to use my fingers to finish unscrewing them. The first one loosened really easy. I don't remember using any extra force on the second one. In fact, it felt like the first. I didn't even realize it broke until I went to finish removing it with my fingers.

Sure, I'm capable of extracting the broken plug, buying a replacement plug and installing it. However, if it indeed is covered under warranty the PB/Hayward should honor this and correct the issue.

Hayward only provides a 1 year warranty on the motor and a 10 year warranty on the housing. Contact them directly and hopefully they will help you out. Sometimes they send you free stuff, and sometimes they do not.

Your builder may have provided you a separate warranty, but under the conditions written in the contract.

Can you please be specific what type of warranties you have?

That's the thing. There is nothing in any of my paperwork or emails that mentions warranties. Honestly, the whole installation process seems like a blur. It was a couple months of waiting. A bunch of missed verbal deadlines for installation. Then, all of the sudden it was a fury of activity with loads of different contractors and people working to get everything finished. I don't ever recall any verbal warranty specifications either?

It wasn't until this past Spring that I even thought about any warranty. I went to Hayward's site to setup my account for remote management of my Omnilogic. That's when I saw the link to register my equipment. After I registered my Hayward products, it said "Warranty Type: 3 Year: Professionally Installed Warranty". So far, the only thing I can find on Hayward's site regarding extended warranties is some mention of the Totally Hayward program.

I am going to contact Hayward to find out the details of this warranty. I'm also going to ask my PB to provide me a copy of the signed contract which states service must be completed by a professional. That is really the whole point of my post...being told my warranty is voided because I closed my own pool. That's like Ford telling me my warranty is void because I change my own oil! Look, if any of my pipes burst because I closed my own pool I am not going to make a warranty claim - I can see where Hayward could fight this. But removing a drain plug? Really? With that logic we shouldn't be able to do any maintenance to our own pools.

Who brings their water to the pool store for testing? Not anyone with a Taylor test kit or the TF-100.
:mrgreen::laughblue:

Thanks for the responses! I do love how this site is always willing to help everyone!

I did get warranty on a complete pump, and it was over a year. It was installed and sold by a pro to the previous owner. I also got warranty on a 3 year old safety cover. There the 51 spring covers were replaced.

I am curious though. I think liners, solar covers and safety covers stipulate 3 ppm chlorine and balanced PH of [7.2-7.8]. With the TFP CYA-Chlorine relationship very few of us would qualify for a warranty claim. I was thinking if one did get pool store testing for the paperwork, one might get warranty.

As for your plug, it may not be worth the hassle it to worry about it.

This depends a lot on your builder. My builder I have no doubt I would have issues with warranty claims no matter what the claim. I do my own maintenance (water) but I do have it professionally closed. Like you, when I contacted Jandy, they had no record of any of my equipment being registered by the builder. But they took the S/Ns and registered it for me. I have had a few minor issues with equipment and Jandy was great about sending me parts. I never even thought about going through the builder for them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.