Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello to everyone on this forum!

I think we have an efflorescence via a leak in the wall. There has already been a large crack repaired behind the small feature. I suspect the pool contractor did not properly glue the pipes in the wall.

Any ideas how to get them to admit the pipes are leaking and open the wall to properly glue the pipes?

Pool1.jpg

Pool2.jpg

Pool3.jpg

Pool4.jpg

Pool5.jpg

Welcome to TFP, glad to have ya here! As to your problem....

I'm wondering if the ground water or hitting rain water behind the wall there is pushing thru which causes the calcium (the white stuff) to dry on the surface.

Have you tried scrubbing off the efflorescence with a bit of well diluted MA? LIke a 4:1 water:MA mixture?

Maddie :flower:

It might be a leak in the sheers but trying to prove it probably won't be easy.

Can you definitely tell that water is coming through the cracks when the sheers are on?

If you could pressure test the lines, that could tell you for sure but you would need a way to plug the sheers in a way that can hold at least a psi or two.

Maybe you could use some of that metallic hvac tape to seal the sheer and then fill the plumbing with water to a foot or two higher than the sheers using a standpipe.

Then, wait overnight to see if the water level in the pipe drops.

Maybe you can glue a plastic strip over the sheer so that you can pressure test. Maybe a silicone glue that will hold ok but still be able to remove after the test.

Thanks for the welcome. I can scrub off the deposits, but I am really concerned about an inside leak under pressure. If ground water were pushing it, I would expect it in more places than the wall. Thanks.

I am really tempted to hire a contractor to open the cracks from the backside and examine the insides of the wall while the pool is operating. Thanks for the response.

Maybe you can drill a hole in the wall to see if water comes out.

Just be careful not to hit the plumbing or the sheer descent fitting.

Or, just cut a small hole to see what's going on.

You can use a concrete hole saw or a concrete saw to cut a rectangular hole.

Well the pool guy came by and said the stuff in the cracks was calcium from rain runoff.

He said the calcium on the tiles was normal.

I am truly mystified that the calcium on the tiles is on/near the water feature wall and not across the pool. I am also mystified that the cracks developed behind the water features and are filled with rainwater calcium.

I think my pool builder is telling fibs. is there a person who can inspect our pool and make a professional recommendation?

Rainwater has no calcium. However, if rainwater is getting into the wall, it can dissolve calcium from the cement and that can cause efflorescence.

I think that you're going to need to pressure test the sheer or cut into the wall to prove that the sheer is leaking.

Update.

I researched a bit more and find the reason for the calcium on the pool wall is because of low pH. I've used some muriatic acid to clean off some of the stuff. I need to buy some non-fuming muriatic acid to finish the job. I also put a preventative solution into the pool. I have no idea how the pH was low because I have the water tested almost weekly.

The wall cracks are beneath the screen supports. I suspect the builder just did a crummy job designing the back wall with the enclosure on top of it.

I am displeased with them but I can not expect any further help.

Why would low pH cause the issue?

The issue could be from rain entering the wall if there are gaps around the supports that allow water to enter.

I still suspect that the fountain might have a small leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to buy some non-fuming muriatic acid to finish the job.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. The fumes are chlorine and HCl gases. not sure there's any solution to fuming other than making it more dilute

I also put a preventative solution into the pool.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!

I have the water tested almost weekly.

Did you test the water yourself? If not, who knows what the pH was?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.