Blow-Thru Valve Winter Pool Plugs

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I wanted to start a new thread as I feel these Blow-Thru Valve Winter Pool Plugs deserve some recognition. Please note that this thread will be linked to my other thread.

Most members with an air compressor usually connect an NPT fitting to the pump basket, then clear the lines with an air compressor, or they create some adapter and work from the skimmers, unions, etc. If you are working on the return side, this would mean that you will have to isolate the suction side to create enough air volume to accomplish the task and vice versa. With the blow thru plugs, one can simply place in a the pump basket housing, and use an air compressor to move water with air. This method would only require 2 plugs and an air compressor (One on the return side and one on the suction side). Additionally, members without a shut off valve for the main drain would not require one.

For 1.5" plumbing, the plugs needed are # 8 and # 10. For 2" plumbing, the plugs needed are # 10 and # 11.

This morning, I decided to test out the main drain before tomorrow's official pool closing. A # 11 plug was placed in the suction side and the main drain valve was opened, which closed off the skimmers on both the house and yard side with my set up.

My Air Boss mini compressor was used for the test run. I only pressurized the system to around 20 PSI. Filled up the tank and started the process. The air ran out in about 60 seconds, and I quickly went over to the main drain (no bubbles). Went back and turned the compressor back on and the tank filled up, and gave it another shot (probably another 60 seconds). Quickly ran over to the main drain and I saw bubbles coming out of the first drain, not the second drain. Went back and ran the compressor for another 30 seconds and quickly closed the shut off valve to the main drain and shut the compressor off. When I did this, the skimmer lines, which were initially closed were opened. Removed the plug and some air released, but the main drain is still "air locked" with the shut off valve. Now, I opened the valve slowly, and you can hear the air come back into the pump basket housing and quickly the water filled up.

If you have no shut off valve, after pressuring the system, when you are ready to remove the plug, or in the spring when you open the pool, release air first (just as you would have if letting air out of a tire) as not to have the plug pop out. Always use caution and wear gloves, and keep eyes and face away as a safety measure.

In summary, this process works, but is a little slower. Only one drain bubbled, not the second, but this is to be expected given the path of least resistance. The water should have moved under the frost line (here in NJ). I have not attempted the returns, but will update the thread at a later time with the results.

If anyone has tried these plugs, please post your feedback.

Information on what type of compressor you used, what pressure settings you were at, and if you were successful and satisfied with your closing would be of great help to the community. Just as important is if you closed your returns under water. One would expect the process to be real easy if the water was lowered below the returns. Most members only go slightly below the skimmers.

Fini 1.2 HP 135 PSI 1-Gun Air Boss Compressor Combo Kit-AB1PAK - The Home Depot

Blow-Thru Valve Winter Pool Plugs - Various Sizes

Links below to my closing thread and modified cover thread:

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

I'm waiting for my plugs with blow thru valves to arrive this week. I'm also in NJ. But I think my setup is entirely different. I'm going to put the plug in the return ports and blow any water towards the pump. I'll have the line disconnected at the pump so it drains. Both of my returns are connected to each other somewhere underground. Also, my skimmers are interconnected to the drains. Deep end skimmer tied to deep end drain and shallow drain to shallow end skimmer respectively. A real PITA. Old setup and I wish I could change it. But it's solid and thick concrete built early 1970s.

I was considering double plugs for the skimmer lines but might just close the valve at the pump and plug the skimmer with a blow thru plug and blow the drain from there. That way when I see bubbles coming from the drain, I just need to pull the air line from the blow thru plug and it "should" air lock. You know, I have closed this pool for the past 7-8 years and I cannot even recall if I even did it the same way twice in a row. I always seem to forget exactly what I did the year before but in the end I always know my lines were blown and air-locked and I plug the skimmers, vac them out dry, and pour pink antifreeze in them and I seal them so nothing gets in.

It's a real task in the northeast on an older Sylvan pool. Really bothers me every year worrying if air-locking holds and if I will be screwed come spring time when I open. But so far I have been very fortunate. I'll get those plugs and figure out how I want to use them. I actually already closed the pool but I just had a passing paranoid moment and want to get some reassurance. Another idea I had was to blow antifreeze thru the lines using these blow thru plugs and when I see pink coming from the drain, stop and disconnect. That would mean I got the line filled to the bottom at least. I know everyone is different and some think anti-freeze isn't needed but if there is ever a day that someone opens in spring and has a cracked line because they didn't have a backup, It won't be me. I'll post back about my blow thru plugs. Likely a week or 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.