Water level problem on new pool

I haven't been on in a while and am a little behind, but has anyone put a level (or laser) on this? Checked it before or after? Checked the coping and the tile?

Either that is really poor quality work or there is a big problem going on there.

Alright so I dropped off here for a while in an attempt to try and ignore this big problem in my backyard. Essentially whats happened is the pool shifting is worse- the pool light even shattered a few days back.
The PB never followed up on his promise to look in to it and stopped returning all emails and phone calls after his initial inspection. I caught him on the phone the other day and it was almost comical as he stammered into the phone, so obviously annoyed he had picked up. His response was essentially "good luck with all that". So, I am on my own here. I have an engineering firm coming by to take a look at it and he was really surprised that the PB didn't use piers to stabilize the pool when it was being built as my part of the city is notorious for its clay and shifting soil (every house around here has a foundation issue). Prior to the homes being built the area was farmland which contained numerous springs so ground water can be an issue.

My question now is that the PB insists that he built the pool as he should and this was nothing he could foresee without expensive soil testing, which he says is never done. Is that the case or since the clay and poor soil is well known around here should he have done more? The engineer already told me if there is a solution here it is going to be quite expensive so I don't see how I will not be getting lawyers involved soon.

Appreciate any feedback as always.

If he doesn't make it right, I would definitely get a lawyer involved.

I might even consider following him around and when ever he gives a quote, go tell the potential customer about your experience. Maybe even show them pictures.

Check your contract and see if it says anything about soil/compaction. You may or may not know it, but they often put in a line that discusses compaction. If you "say" you have 91% or better (at least in this area) then they will build to that statement, or state that a soil compaction test be done (at your cost and time). If a permit was pulled, and engineering was provided, it would be predicated on that representation. If you stated that you had solid material, and you did or did not know that you did not, then you "misrepresented" your lot and they will not be found at fault.

I'm not saying this is right; just offering you some inside advice and giving you a place to look before you contact an attorney. Good chance an attorney would not take the case if that was included and initialled.

Good luck!

If he has built successfully in your development before and not had issues with soil settlement, there is no pattern with which to claim he was negligent. If the township knew something and didn't require a soils engineering report, they might be if they didn't suggest it. I find it unlikely they didn't know about homes in the vicinity having foundation issues, especially if a local engineering firm knew, as you said.

Don't make war with the builder.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.