Pentair Master Temp 400 NG blower humming

Oct 15, 2018
Phoenix
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join the group.

I have a Pentair Master Temp 400 NG heater for my pool and spa that has been in operation for about 5 years now. It has worked well over time, with little issues that I have been able to either fix myself or had Pentair fix under warranty.

This particular issue is a repeater, and I think Pentair solved it the first time, but they can't find anything in their database to identify it.

When I press the Heat Spa button, the blower makes a loud humming noise, sounding like an electric motor that is bound up. I was told by someone that it was probably as start/run capacitor that wasn't operating correctly, and to see if I could get the motor to spin first, then try to start it. The motor spins freely, by the way. When I start the motor spinning in the direction of operation and then press the Heat Spa button, it starts up just fine. Otherwise, it hums.

I think this backs up the capacitor problem, but can't seem to figure out how to replace it. Pentair is telling me I need to replace the whole motor. I am almost certain I didn't do this the last time this happened (yes, this is a repeat problem).

The person who installed the pool thinks cleaning the filter (about 6 months since the last time) will do the trick, but I am thinking the blower motor won't be affected by the filter, but am open to any ideas. I am going to have him clean the filter anyway, but want to know if anyone thinks they might know what is going on with the blower.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Looks like the motor is completely enclosed and so the only way to get to the start capacitor would be to pull the motor case off. Of course, the start cap isn’t going to be an easy part to find so you might have to special order it from a place like DigiKey or some other electronics shop. It looks like Pentair designs it so you can only replace then entire blower assembly which I agree is a total waste.

Can you pull the cover and get a picture of the motor? It may be possible to find just the motor online and buy a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.