Pump Timer Recommendations

Jul 8, 2018
Fayetteville, NC
I need a timer for my Hayward pool pump (model number in signature block). I'd like something programmable so I can run the pump for a few hours, a couple times per day (maybe once day cycle and one night cycle to use less electricity during on-peak times).

Can anyone recommend one that they have been using with success?

I’m using the WiOn switch for my spa pump. But only to turn it on and off from my iPhone. I’m not using any of the timer functions.
The problem with using it as a timer for the main pump is that it relies on WiFi and internet. The programming is online. Too many possible points of failure for my taste.

I much prefer simple solutions. I’ve been using the simple mechanical Intermatic timers for my pools for well over 20 years and except for replacing one single clock motor, I have never seen any problems. I doubt that will be true of the WiFi switches or digital timers. Power surges and such mean nothing to a mechanical timer. They just keep running.....and they are cheaper.

My main pool pump is an Intelliflo VS 011018. I use the pumps built in timer/controller to program my main pool functions. Pump comes on in a.m. at a speed to clean the pool (infloor cleaning system), then shifts to minimum speed to support the SWG (for chlorination). Late afternoon it drops to a very low speed for some extra filtration. Late at night it turns off, then repeats the cycle the next morning. If heat is called for and available at the solar panels a SolarTouch controller will ramp up the speed and open the solar valve, when done close the valve and return control to the pump.

So my pool system cleans, chlorinated, heats and filters the pool daily. All done automatically every day with no effort or intervention on my part. This is done with my pumps built in timer, a mechanical Intermatic timer for the SWG, and a $250 solar control.

The smart switches were a recent addition to provide control (from my iPhone of by voice command) of my spa pump, NG heater, pool/spa lighting and other outdoor lighting. That included the WiOn switch which I’m using to simply turn the spa on or off . I’m not using any of the timer or programming functions of any of these devices.

The whole story can be found here:
Alexa pool control on a shoestring budget

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.