Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello
I visited my brother's house 2 days ago, and his pool is looking greenish. I asked how he tests, and he does his own testing. But, he never tests CYA for some reason - a mistake, I know.
So today, I went over, and he asked me to bring my tft test kit. Upon arrival, he told me that he shocked it in the morning, and he used the item in the picture. I assumed that testing ph would be useless if the chlorine is high. So, I tested his FC and CYA, and i got 3 for FC and 100 for CYA. His CYA might even be higher, but with the liquid at 100, I could not see the black dot at all. I asked if he added any stabilizer, and he did not; he has 2 pucks floating in a floater. His numbers left me dumbfounded, and I claimed to be an expert upon arrival; I could not tell him what to do. Obviously the contents of the bag raised CYA perhaps??? But his FC was at 3, which perhaps is his first issue.

I know that without the other numbers, it's hard to assess. But, what would you recommend??

He, and I thank you

With him using pucks to chlorinate and regular shocking with Dichlor his CYA is probably astronomical. Both of those products are almost 50% CYA.

I’m on my phone, so it’s hard to find the instructions, but you need to do a diluted CYA test to get close on the number. But, even with that he will be replacing a lot of water to reduce the CYA and then a SLAM Process.

But, if he doesn’t change his ways about what products he uses it will,just happen again.

Step 8, Pool School - CYA

He should start to think about how he will exchange a large portion of the water in his pool.

thanks MArty. That's what I told him, that he will need to replace some water.

With him using pucks to chlorinate and regular shocking with Dichlor his CYA is probably astronomical. Both of those products are almost 50% CYA.

I’m on my phone, so it’s hard to find the instructions, but you need to do a diluted CYA test to get close on the number. But, even with that he will be replacing a lot of water to reduce the CYA and then a SLAM Process.

But, if he doesn’t change his ways about what products he uses it will,just happen again.

Thanks. Two pucks and that bag can send CYA that high??

Hello
I visited my brother's house 2 days ago, and his pool is looking greenish. I asked how he tests, and he does his own testing. But, he never tests CYA for some reason - a mistake, I know.
So today, I went over, and he asked me to bring my tft test kit. Upon arrival, he told me that he shocked it in the morning, and he used the item in the picture. I assumed that testing ph would be useless if the chlorine is high. So, I tested his FC and CYA, and i got 3 for FC and 100 for CYA. His CYA might even be higher, but with the liquid at 100, I could not see the black dot at all. I asked if he added any stabilizer, and he did not; he has 2 pucks floating in a floater. His numbers left me dumbfounded, and I claimed to be an expert upon arrival; I could not tell him what to do. Obviously the contents of the bag raised CYA perhaps??? But his FC was at 3, which perhaps is his first issue.

I know that without the other numbers, it's hard to assess. But, what would you recommend??
He, and I thank you

it was 2 pucks today. and 2 pucks last week and 2 the week before
the chlorine gets used up the cya stays and increases each puck or bag of shock he adds

Aussie - good point. I don't think that he does that every week. I meant to say that his current condition is that he has 2 pucks floating. I will pass on to him all of these tips, and certainly recommend that he TFP's.

I’m confused. Two pucks and a bag of shock are all he has ever used in the pool?
Is this a new pool or new water?

Hi Tim. I didn't mean that it's all that he has ever used. This is not a new pool or water, and I meant to say that AT PRESENT, he has 2 pucks floating and the bag of shock.

Hi Tim. I didn't mean that it's all that he has ever used. This is not a new pool or water, and I meant to say that AT PRESENT, he has 2 pucks floating and the bag of shock.
Its cumulative, the tabs and shock are almost 50% CYA and the CYA stays around. The CYA from almost every puck he has ever used is in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.