Advice on draining a 12x30in Intex pool that has turned green

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester, MA
Hello all, well our fall weather hit and the craziness of back to school meant that I totally slacked on keeping the water clear. It has turned green. Since it's just a small Intex, it's the kind we need to empty, not cover for the winter. First off, I should shock & run the sand filter until it's clear, before trying to drain it, right? Also, any easy tips on draining the pool? It would flood the grass if we just drained into the yard, but we do have a marsh way out back we could try to drain to. Our friend told us about putting a garden hose into the pool to drain it, but I'm not sure I understand how that would work. Any advice is so appreciated! Thank you!

If you are going to drain the pool, no reason to clear it up. The algae formed is on the walls and floors (take a clear glass of pool water and you will see). You can then rinse everything and use a shop vac to clean the pool (be careful not to rip the liner). Your friend is referring to creating a siphon with the hose. Or you can purchase a small pump on Amazon or Harbor Freight that hooks up to a standard garden hose. Maybe one of your neighbors has a small pump you can borrow for a few hours so you can empty the pool.

I am not familiar with the Intex Sand Filter. Does it have a backwash hose that is long enough to run out to the street? Can you backwash to the street, or does it have to be kept on your property? Depends on your township and what they allow.

If you are going to drain the pool, no reason to clear it up. The algae formed is on the walls and floors (take a clear glass of pool water and you will see). You can then rinse everything and use a shop vac to clean the pool (be careful not to rip the liner). Your friend is referring to creating a siphon with the hose. Or you can purchase a small pump on Amazon or Harbor Freight that hooks up to a standard garden hose. Maybe one of your neighbors has a small pump you can borrow for a few hours so you can empty the pool.

I am not familiar with the Intex Sand Filter. Does it have a backwash hose that is long enough to run out to the street? Can you backwash to the street, or does it have to be kept on your property? Depends on your township and what they allow.

Thank you!! We don't have a backwash hose actually! Hopefully I can find something that can hook up to it.

I have used my intex vacuum hose attached to a shorter regular hose to drain with sand filter pump. The vac hose is clamped to the "B" adapter with a regular hose clamp. The b adapter screws onto regular hose. Pics won't have vac hose because it's still in tote outside. Lol
fc8ea27c24f37615297e6d4324da202e.jpg
5d30ab3669e7a40a7cc916083893bc74.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, previous post has wrong parts shown.
Use these parts to set it up:
1. Vacuum hose with clamp from Deluxe Maintenance Kit #10797
2. Hose Adapter A with collar #10849
Slide hose with clamp over narrow end of adapter, tighten. Attach this to your plunger valve. I removed hose from bottom of skimmer inside pool so I could pull water from deeper in pool. (The pics are not in sequence, I gave better instructions than I used myself 1st time.)
abf7c7b6e9263ac3a6066f210949b7da.jpg
3e0fe40c6bbcb80e55a755d6fe0238ce.jpg
95a39df232b75d52adff75699fc10aa7.jpg
2679258fce18cafd0b94c4b45e4f692c.jpg
69988ef978fa3ed12347dd3d35c89cf8.jpg

**Reread post: instead of attaching adapter to plunger valve, simply attach it to sand filter drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.