New Pool and brown water

dok00

Oct 5, 2018
Freehold/NJ
Hey Everyone. New pool owner here(still under construction). I’m having an issue with cleaning up the water. When the liner was installed, I filled the pool to 1’ in the shallow end. This water came straight from my well. I think around 6,000 gallons.
2724eb6d079bb986fcf470f883fb9bb4.jpg

I didn’t want to use my well water because of the issues with high iron but I didn’t have much of a choice. I didn’t want to run all this water through my water softener. When it was time to fill the rest of the pool, I had the local Fire Department bring clean water. The water remained brown until the pool company came to do the initial start up. They added their chemicals and the next day the water was cleared up but their was a ton of brown sediment on the bottom.
0bd4a7375f7dd5214be2b040519bd0e5.jpg

ef09682a927d26cd9f325a76af2b464f.jpg

I started to vacuum to waste but I’m only able to get about 5 minutes before the water level drops below the skimmer. And while I’m vacuuming, a lot of the sediment got stirred up and made the water all dirty again and I can’t see the bottom anymore

I added a flocculant to try to get everything to drop to the bottom again but that doesn’t seem to be working. I’m not even sure if this is rust from the iron or just dirt that was pulled up from the well. Or maybe both?

I’m at a loss and at the end of my sanity.? Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Pool is 15,000 gallons
Salt water

Welcome! :wave: While wells typically have iron content, that looks like a bunch of ground sediment to me. Once you added chlorine, it would react with that much iron and you'd start to see staining as well. In any case, well water is still in there so it won't hurt to treat for both. Avoid future floc for now though. Make sure to vacuum to waste as much as you can to avoid getting the floc in your filter. It will take time. You can try adding some towels or other absorbent material to the skimmer as well. It may help catch suspended materials.

Reference the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Based on your current CYA, keep the FC from getting too high for the moment until you confirm if it's dirt or iron. Keep the pH on the lower end of the 7s as well (7.2-7.4). Once you get a handle on that sediment, then you can begin final winter prep and final water balancing for closing. If the CYA is low (say 30-40), I'd leave it there and treat your pool as a non-salt pool for now when you reference the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Also make sure to update your signature with all of the pool and equipment info you have.

Thanks for the quick reply Pat.

Today the water isn’t as brown as it was yesterday. It seems to be just cloudy and I still can’t see the bottom. I vacuumed blindly to waste and saw a lot of brown sediment coming out. I did a water test using strips(My Taylor test kit will be delivered tomorrow) and below are the results. Chlorine is off the chart. I shut off the SWG a couple days ago but it still hasn’t come down. I also have the Brown-B-Gone iron filter attached to one of the returns. It’s definitely catching a lot.

I also did a salt test which said I’m at 3600 ppm. I used the Taylor salt water test with the speed stir. The SWG control panel says its 2800. I’m not sure which to believe. I would think it’s on the lower side being that I’ve drained and filled water a couple times

b5d7db4ee30c2682af03713203aedb1c.jpg

4b391bb1076a025cec760e9d59e1cbb8.jpg

==========================================
Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 15000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 10.0 (an hour ago)
CC: 10.0 (an hour ago)
pH: 6.0 (an hour ago)
TA: 0 (an hour ago)
CH: 250 (an hour ago)
CYA: 0 (an hour ago)
SALT: 3600 (an hour ago)
TEMPERATURE: 72° (an hour ago)
CSI: -1.30 (7 days ago)

Boy, it stinks all you have are strips at the moment. The low pH and TA worry me. I would consider the following right now:
1 - Is your heater isolated from water movement? Or can it be? Now sure what type of element you have, but if it's copper, I wouldn't want that acidic water flowing through it.
2 - The FC is holding because the water is probably chilly and low angled sunlight. But with no CYA it's too high (very strong).
3 - Has anyone ever added any stabilizer yet? If not, I would add stabilizer via the sock-soaking method for a CYA goal of 30. Do that as soon as possible.
4 - We know the pH and TA are too low. But you aren't swimming yet, and if you can isolate the heater I would wait until your test kit arrives to confirm. I'd hate to see you increase those only to find they are too high later. But as soon as your test kit arrives, confirm/adjust the pH and TA right away.
5 - Continue with the filtering as best as you can. I suspect that will take a while.
Let's start there and see how it goes.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Yeah, all the water flows through the heater with no way to isolate it.

When they came to start up the pool, they added salt, a sanitizer and the stabilizer.

I’ll leave the filter running with the SWG turned off. I’ll see how it looks in the morning

Should I add anything to the water or should I wait to test the water on Monday?

Looks like I’m on a good track now. That filter bag cleaned up the water really well. I’ve been testing and adding whichever chemicals I’ve needed over the past few days. Below are my current tests. My PH and Alkalinity were a little low so I just added the recommended(Pool Math) 4lbs of baking soda.

As soon as the the hardscape is finished around the pool, I’m gonna have the pool company come out to close it up.

Thank you for the help, it’s greatly appreciated!

Pool
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 15000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 6.0 (2 hours ago)
CC: 0.2 (2 hours ago)
pH: 7.0 (2 hours ago)
TA: 50 (2 hours ago)
CH: 100 (2 hours ago)
CYA: 90 (2 hours ago)
SALT: 3400 (2 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 62° (2 hours ago)
CSI: -1.81 (2 hours ago)

d32a6b5afa2cd54413ea540d6a1dfb1d.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.